Tips for getting started as a freelance visualiser?

You're entering the industry at a very interesting time. Lots of competition but there is a good amount of work out there. Bid competitively but don't sell your soul, don't work for free or for "exposure", always get a deposit and have a contract, and make art (not 3D lifeless images).

If you have an architectural background, you might try pitching your skills to a firm. A lot of firms need a viz person and they dont even know it. This would give you the most job security I think. If you went into a large Viz studio you will learn a lot but you will also need to hold your own with the big boys, which is fine if you have talent.

The best way is to just jump right in. Networking is probably the most important.

A lot of [architectural] firms need a viz person and they dont even know it. This would give you the most job security I think...

You know a field is punishing when working for an architectural firm is a step up in security. Or in my case, thinking 'I will pivot my work more towards my personal art as a hedge against the uncertainties of the rendering field'.

Back to the OP, having good work is your best chance of getting established.

I currently work in a firm in Australia as a student, however they don't really want to bother with beautiful artistic images - I'm about to graduate from my master of architecture, but I want to spend some time doing my own thing, 3D art, VR, arch visualisation & working from home.

Thanks!

In Canberra, Australia. I'd like to do VR, exterior & interior renders & interactive 360.

I have some basic student renders I can link later, but nothing really great.

I'd like to spend some time building a strong folio. First I'd go back to my old uni projects and visualise them a lot better, & do a few photo real kitchen renders as a beginning. I've also done a bit of VR for a research project at uni where I recreated Rem Koolhaas' Agadir Hotel & convention centre (1990) & brought it into Unity.

No pay would probably be possible, but only for a very very short period of time, I also don't really believe in working for free to gain some exposure.

Hi Jayden,

valerostudio is definitely right about pitching to come companies and set yourself up as a independent supplier for them. I run my own practice in UK as well as teach architecture in university and I have seen a lot of my students doing off jobs as visualizers. Also a good plan is to talk with small interior design firms and kitchen design firms as they need a lot of fast passed output. I think the main thing is dont drop the prices to the level where you are on brink of survival. Portfolio is the key as well as nice to be backed up with good references. Always ask for deposit and keep brief in writing as clients like to 'change their mind' too often.

I would agree with valerostudio make contact with local practices as they usually need somebody who can do CGI. Also good plan to talk to small interior and kitchen design companies as they will need large amounts of work done on regular basis.

I am running a Architectural practice and also teach in university and I have found that a lot of my students as well as recent graduate employees have ran freelancing as visualizers.

Definitely work with deposit and make sure you put in writing what needs doing as clients like to 'change their mind' a lot.

I currently work in a firm in Australia as a student, however they don't really want to bother with beautiful artistic images - I'm about to graduate from my master of architecture, but I want to spend some time doing my own thing, 3D art, VR, arch visualisation & working from home.

Marry well

Great advice!

Do you have any suggestions on how to price deposits?

Price your deposit to cover your base cost (software license rental, coffee fund, bread and water, electricity, housing etc). A good amount of your first customers will either fail to pay beyond the deposit or it will take > 6 months.

Another "in" is to contact realtors, developers or marketing people for upcoming projects. If you see a sign of a "coming soon" development that has no or a bad rendering, send that company a brochure or letter, or give them a call.

Once you get in and start doing renderings, word will spread around.