V-Ray Lighting Camera Assistance

ryanlewis1

Hi all

So i've decided to take a leap from Mental Ray to V-Ray & I'm having an issue with the lighting/camera in my scene.

It seems that it doesnt matter what values I use for my camera the lighting appears the same. For example when the scenes iso is at 0 it renders identical to the iso being at 600. (Same with shutter speed also.)

I've browsed the net looking for answers but im not having much look. I'll attach a few screenies of my setup.

Thanks.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

The F number and shutter speed are what you should be adjusting. (F number only if you're using depth of field).

In the real world, ISO is used to control noise / shutter speed balance. As in vray the noise is dependant on the render settings, the ISO has little / no effect.

Well, in reality, ISO, FStop and Shutter speed they all control how bright or dark an image is, the noise you get on real digital cameras or traditional films is a consequence or side effect of lack of light into the film/sensor.

On computers we keep those controls to match real cameras or to get effect such DOF or motion blur, also glowing or stars effects.

Of course in CG we can go crazy with numbers but we still have physical rules and basis.

Regarding your question, 3D Max many ways to control exposure (too many IMO).

If you are coming from mental ray, think of using a regular camera and Mental Ray exposure control, it is of the same.

For V-Ray you need to use, Physical camera and physical exposure, or Traditional V-Ray camera and V-Ray exposure control.

When you are using the Physical camera and physical exposure the default controls will be only EV, a simple number that makes the image bright or dark. This can be controlled from the camera itself or inside the exposure window.

If you go to the traditional VRay exposure/camera you can also choose to only use EV or manual mode in the exposure control or use the values on camera.

The blurriness in your texture will depend on Antialiasing and the blurriness control in the texture itself.

Mental Ray if you use Autodesk Material that blurriness control is setup to a very low number, compared to use the regular 3DMax bitmap it always defaults to 1. You can lower that number to 0.1 or lower and the image will look better.