Vray 3ds max file compression

Paul Jasper

Hello all,

I've been working on some interior/exterior renderings of a house using Vray for 3DS Max 2017 and wanted to know what steps I can take to minimize the file sizes, which are about 400mb.

The building file is an .fbx linked from Revit 2017 and the site file is linked as a .dwg from Rhino 5. I've saved the different views as separate files (so exterior, bathroom, kitchen only contain the objects they need), however the high polycount props are still huge; appliances, furniture and trees esp. I've saved these objects out and Xrefed them and have also run Garbage Collection. While my file size has reduced from 500>400mb, I feel that there are other/different steps I could take to optimize the scenes further. Any suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Is there a reason you linked the building file from Revit? Like do you anticipate the someone updating the Revit file and want yours to automatically update? If not I'd just break the link that way you can optimize all of that geometry. Keeping that link live leaves you at the mercy of how clean and organized the original Revit was made.