rendering nodes and vray

Hello CG community, I have a question and I really hope you can give me any guidance.

I have 5 computers available to create a rendering network to render an animation. The only problem, I have one VRAY license for one workstation. How does the set up work in my situation - do I really have to buy extra licenses for each rendering computer? I heard from one 3d designer that the nodes don't have to have a monitor even, it can render and save images to the set location and vray can be installed without actual purchase. I am not sure if it is really true. Please kindly advice. Thank you very much!

PS: those computers have installed 3d Max 2018 and had VRAY 3.6 on each. But the licenses were not extended.

• 1 month later...

You will need to buy individual rendernode  license for each computer. And each machine needs to be able to access the same folders. For example, I share my E: drive (which contains my projects, textures etc) on my host computer then 'map' this drive on the rendernode machines, that way they all can access it.