Transferring from artistic 3D modeling to architectural modeling

Mohab Helmi

Hey guys!

I am new user of these forums and over all new to architectural modeling. I am originally an animation student and most of my 3D work so far revolved around artistic modeling, for film and videogames and such. 

However, due to a job shortage in that field where I live, and the abundance of architectural 3D visualization jobs (and my need for a job as a fresh grad) I decided to look into getting more into that field and building a 3D visualizer portfolio.

Basically, what I am asking for here is advice and over all guidance into how I can best get into this field, What softwares I NEED to know, how i should build my portfolio, how do I get 2D plans to practice building them in 3D, What are common Dos and Don'ts, etc

I am quite familiar with 3Ds max, Substance painter, and Vray. but I have no experience with any CAD based programs apart from more artistically focused ones like Plasticity. So I'd also like to know what is a good resource for tutorials for things like Rivet (which seems to me to be the industry go to right now and what most job posts seems to ask for) 

Overall, any advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.