Modelling directly in 3ds max

rayray

I usually model direct in 3d Max with the 2d drawings from AutoCAD. in AutoCAD, I often use the "Pedit" command to clode polygone, and in 3d max, I only have to extrude the model. Or, I attach the spline, weld the vertex and then extrude (for special form, round things, etc.)

I know you can model really fast in Architectural Desktop, I don't know really how to model in 3d in AutoCAD, it's why I use 3d Max.

I don't think the accuracy issue is such a big one. I have modelled in various CAD packages over the years, but now i model in Max. I think with CAD you can get caught up in that fact that you can model very accurately and then your modelling time becomes less efficient.

I use 2d autocad dwgs as a base and then model in Max. I find this way very quick, and also very flexible to edit when changes need to be made (changes are always made!!!)

It depends on how much you care about accuracy. I prefer to model in FormZ and import to Max, although I am using Max a little more.

Max is just slow when you are trying to get something accurate and you end up just eyeing it, which is fine most of the time, but it's a lot quicker to get it right then try hard to get it close. Not to mention, on a large building, this would have a large impact.

But I've been using FormZ twice as long as Max.

I remember asking this same question a few years ago as I too come from an AutoCAD design background. I still prefer to use Autocad to create relativley precise drawing profiles and then pull them into max for further 3D work.

Booleans..... (Yuk!) A discusting term... A discusting result.

Now that Discreet is under Autodesk ownership, and MAX over the past few years has clearly been targeting the Visualization audience, how long will it be before Autocad like Drawing tools are integrated into MAX's 2D shape tools? Wouldn't that make a whole lot of sense...

I could have swore someone wrote a script for VIZ a few years ago that gave you autocad like tools. Does anyone know of any scripts like that for MAX?

theres one big difference: the boolean operations works better in acad...

true, but there's no need to use booleans in max. i do all my modeling in max starting from plans and elevations and section imported from AC and never do a single boolean operation. actually i keep as much distance as i can from boleean stuff nowdays. at least when using max.

I started out in ACAD modeling and then as I got to know Max I just dropped AutoCAD.

Max is designed from the ground up to Model - ACAD is not. Use what is the fastest way but I can't think of a thing in AutoCAD that you can't do faster in MAX Booleans in Max are a joke but you learn to work around it and only use it when you have to and can get good results.

The accuracy issue is a non issue once you understand the snaps and grid tools.

Just my thoughts

Brett

I use max for all of my modeling as well. I bring in plans and elevations from autocad. I do a little setup in AutoCAD to make the drawings a "box" with elevations in the area they would need to be and plan and roof on top of eachother. Once I get the drawing imported to MAX I set up 6 layers: plan, roof, elev-front, elev-back, elev-left and elev-right. It really makes it simple to make splines, extrude and line everything up. I also use mesh edit and tweak vertex's all the time.

But I definately agree that it's all personal preference and what works good for you.

crw

Just to clarify my point....

If you use Autocad dwgs as templates to model in Max, then your accuracy is already there from your Autocad dwgs, in Max you then just snap to points.

One thing that does annoy me about Max is that I can't find an option to snap to the intersection of 2 splines....any ideas? am I missing something?

THE BIG PROBLEM IS THIS:

When working with teams the DESIGNER who is doing modeling and rendering NEEDS to be able to communicate VIA DRAWINGS with that team. That means that modeling in AutoCad is the best solution, as plans and sections can be xrefed, as well as being generated from the model and wblocked out to 2D files for the rest of the team to use.

IF YOU ARE USING MAX YOU WILL BE JUST "THE RENDERER", since you would have effectively put yourself OUT of the communication loop.

JUST A HINT:

AutoCad can render on its own. The only rendering features it lacks are really ray tracing (I.E. global illumination) and animation.

You can do a lot in cad... but autodesk doesn't really want you to know, because then you wouldn't also need to by MAX/VIZ.

We used to use autocad and viz for modelling architectural designs. One major setback that we encountered in modelling totally in 3ds max/viz is the design changes or if the design is still in design development which means anything can happen or can be changed. Not all the time you are going to model a fixed and complete design. So autocad in that sense prevail if the design is still on-going.

Lately we have migrated to Revit where modelling architectural design is just a breeze and it comes complete with construction documentation. It has a dynamic link with viz 2005 so you dont have to worry if major design changes comes in your way as it still can be link and updated accurately.

just my two cents here.

accuracy can be sidetracked in max by drawing in another scale

draw your cm as 100 km or more and you can have in theory an unlimited amount of accuracy...

but i do not see the need to be drawing accurate up to more than 1 cm... ?! nobody will be able to tell the difference if your window is like 1 mm of the snap!

i don't even bother to snap my window frames to my walls anyway for workflow speed sake... just make sure they overlap no need to snap... really... nobody can tell in your final render image ;)

drawing in max (based on ACAD 2d imported plans) is without a doubt the quickest way to get your scene in 3D on one condition : you need to know how to model in max :) !!

if you don't, learn how to do it or keep drawing in acad because you'll loose alot of time looking for the "acad way" of drawing objects...

but if you know your way around max modeling not only the modeling is quicker, but you can add your default materials to you objects and when copying they stay allready attached to the finished mesh, then you only need to change the material for 'windowframe' or 'brick' and all of them are already linked to that material

changes in the model are very quickly done, and no need to re-import or re-attach the materials to the new objects...

offcourse the booleans are completely forbidden to use in max :mad::D but you will never need them because there are even better allternatives for that in max.

so if you can teach yourself the "max modeling workflow" that will speed up things without a doubt (i use to model in acad for a couple of years so i can tell the difference) not only in modeling speed, but the entire workflow will speed up : materials, adjustments, light setup, no re-importing changes...

Really depends on your application. Many here work in visualization studios that will never be integrated in the ACAD design process. AUTOCAD is lacking in a lot of ways in its rendering. The engine is from the mid 90’s (at best) and looks it. You are severely limited in every way with your materials. It may be ok for a designer to look at during design but any client (that I have done business with) would fire me on the spot if I even showed them an ACAD rendering.

I modeled in AutoCAD for at least a good six years, and after that I was pretty intimidated by having to switch to modeling in max when I joined a real 3D viz department. That was three years ago and I can tell you now that my models are lightyears ahead of anything I ever did or could have done in CAD.

I face-model everything now, leaving much lighter scenes that are much easier to work with as well since I create fairly sophisticated object names that I can use to narrow down elements I'm detailing. Once you get a handle on smoothing groups, you also can fake background geometry a lot quicker and with fewer polys.

Everything I model I trace in CAD off plans and export (CAD still is hands-down the best app for 2D drawing) the shapes I need to begin face modeling. Trace a metal panel wall with rectangles snapped to joint centers, edit mesh, select the faces, extrude by zero (or close to it anyway), bevel -1/4", extrude by 1/2", extrude by 1/8", bevel -1/8" and you've got a finished wall with clean joint lines, beveled edges for highlights, and while you've got the faces of your panels selected, detach them so you can apply a darker shade to the reveals so they stand out.

AutoCAD simply can't beat that level of speed and detail, and you really need that if you're going for a high-end render. And that's all without booleon operations -- no risk of fractured faces that will never shade properly cost you time in post to correct.

God, I sound like a fanatic today, what gives? Can you tell we recently upgraded and I just discovered the glories of the shell modifier? ;-)

If you're working with an evolving design, then yes, you're insane to model it in max and continually revise it alongside a CAD model. But I would never choose to go back and model in CAD myself, and we discourage our clients from pushing their CAD models on us as we spend just as much time fixing and detailing them for our renders as it would have taken to model from scratch.

Shaun