Modelling directly in 3ds max

rayray

I found that over the years the best solution for me is to model in Max. I am always up against tight deadlines and my models are usually done pretty early in the design stage so they are always being "fudged & tweaked". I find Max is the fastest option for this as i'm not always importing new geometry, then having to texture it etc.

I do however use Sketchup to model a few bits and pieces that would take too long in Max, then it gets imported as a 3DS.

Its all about speed for me.

I'm slowly getting up to speed when it comes to modelling in MAX. I learned how to draft on an actual drafting table (circa mid 1980's) so I find AutoCAD to be just an electronic version of the tools I used in high school. I'm finding that MAX takes a different train of thought than AutoCAD when modeling, it seems to lean towards the creative side of how to design and trying to figure out what all the little settings and spinners can do is half the battle. I'm amazed though at the control MAX has over the tiniest little polygon or face. For now I'm splitting my time between the two.

Jon

-----

I believe it was Socrates who said..."I drank what?!"

i always do all in 3d, i dont know nothing about 3d in autocad.

so i import in 3dsmax the facades and plans, each one in diferent layer. then i put all the layers where had to be. and start drawing with splines and extrude and converting to mesh or polys some objets..

I'm still pretty new to all this. I started working in 3d with a student version of archicad but felt the inability to model absolutely anything i wanted constrained me. Max certainly has this capability. I generally import elevations outlined in polylines and extrude it giving me that wall. I also bring in the outlines of windows in the elevation and boolean them from the wall and then add windows. Is this method really slow?? I find it to be the easiest and most accurate method for creating elevations. I've only started messing with poly modelling and its lack of accuracy (probably cos i'm not very good yet!!) irritates me! ( way too fussy i know). Thanks.

• 1 year later...

I modelled directly in max by importing 2d drawings into max. Most of the object in scene were created using shapes. Surprisingly fast from autocad in term of modelling. Size that matter...well,still looking for way to reduce size of a scene in max. Lets say..by imitating technique of modelling in cad. The only problem was everthing extuded from shape will become solid and will only add size to scene..compared to autocad, the scene were extremely light by using single line techniques that decreased scene sized even when modelling a master plan...any suggestion anyone?