indoor HDRI rendering with backplate issue

walid86

[ATTACH=CONFIG]41952[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]41951[/ATTACH]Hi guys, i'm new to this forum and have been stuck on trying to render a realistic scene with my model..

Basically the issue is, i dont think its right, and what i mean, is that it doesnt seem to reflect its background as it should. i have seen other renders, with a different car, but same hdri and backplates, and they looked amazing. I am not sure if its my materials, or scene?

Any help/suggestions would be great! :)

i am using Vray 1.5SP4a, a hdri and a vray physical cam. One light with the hdri in the texture slot.

*adaptive dmc with mitchell netravali,

*GI and reflection/refraction both vrayHDRI

*exponential for colour mapping

*irradiance map and light cache.

I have played around with it alot, and just can't seem to understand why i am unable to see proper reflections on the side of the car etc no matter how i change my settings..

Is this normal or am i just noob?..lol

Thanks for reading!

Cheers :cool:

**below is the most recent renders...

Edited by walid86
adding picture

put a mirror material on your car and see what it looks like. this way you will know for sure if it a material problem, or a different problem. I havent too much experience in using hdris and backplates to achieve what you are trying to do, but to me it feels wrong to be using them this way. if i were you I would mock up the tunnel and use that as a base to work off, then you'll know exactly how your reflections should work.

actually ive just had a look at your renders again, and it looks like the only reflections you are getting are from your plane light, hence the white highlights.

what is your hdri / lighting setup like?

anyway, like i said above, knock up the set and see what happens. it doesnt look too complex, and there are a lot of repeating segments so it would be pretty easy / fast to make.

@stef.thomas, yeah i followed a few tutorials which had good results with the hdri in the texture slot using a dome light, i tried both to no avail. ( i alternated between plane and dome to see the difference ). The renders is darker with a dome, i'm assuming because of the hdri which is dark itself, but i have turned the gamma to 2.2 to counter that.

@notamondayfan, i will try to put a mirror on there, never thought to do so before.. :) like i said just before, i followed a few tuts using that method of lighting and hdri and they had some good results so i thought it would work for me..

i am using one vray light just above the car ( changed from dome and plane with similar results ) and the hdri is in the environment slot and reflections slot.

I will try to mock up that tunnel though, and see how that looks, i cant imagine it not working if thats modeled. Once i have it up i'll show you guys the results..

Thanks for the tips :) preciated!

Hi, you should check example 5 IBL (image based lightning) http://www.spot3d.com/vray/help/150SP1/examples_lights.htm

Basicaly I'll suggest to use only a domelight with your hdr, no other light, environment override is not needed cause the domelight take care of it as for gi and reflection/refraction.

To have good shadow and color, setup linear workflow before testing render, good free tutorial at www.aversis.be

At this point you should try render with no reflection to check your diffuse level is good with the overide material to grey-white, balancing the shuttersppeed of the vraycam to get desired brightness. If you use material you downloaded, generaly they are not set to use in linearworkflow who is better with hdr setup, so you have just to correct texture reflection level and color to mach gamma.

Generaly, the paint shader is compound of a based layer, with a reflective material where diffuse is set to black, set in additive mode

Use vray fresnel to enhance realisme.

Good luck

marc

www.3dimagineitnow.com