Help me build a RIG with $1200 Budget

Hi,

I would like to ask some help to all those techies out here on what parts to buy for a desktop. I am constrained to a $1200 budget since that is what I can afford. I will use it mainly for 3ds max and vray rendering mostly for architecture scenes. Other applications would also include photoshop and sketchup.

Many thanks.

Hi Vincent, take a look at my thread in which i made a configuration for around that same budget as yours. I had recommendations from very knowledgeable people:

http://forums.cgarchitect.com/73990-haswell-basic-workstation-k600-1082-a.html

In the first post you will see all the components that i researched and got recommended for that budget and workflow. Perhaps tonight i will try to post my FINAL CONFIGURATION LIST with all the components that i did bought. I also ended up spending aorund $1200

I hope that $1200 budget is only for PC and not for included MONITOR...

One interesting thing i noticed is that for that BUDGET ($1200), there is actually 2 good alternatives in BRAND COMPUTERS from DELL and LENOVO, with almost the SAME CAPACITY as a computer that you could build yourself, the only thing is that you will not be able to OVERCLOCK those brand PCs compared to a DIY PC in which you can put an overclockable CPU and GPU... Perhaps you dont even need to do Overclock, so that will not be a problem.... And altough building a PC is not so so difficult, well is less hassle to just buy a Brand PC and if something goes wrong, just deal with the warranty of that ONE and only company.

A) DELL Precision T1700_$1249: http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=sp17m7107&model_id=precision-t1700-workstation&c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04

Notes:

- I recommend you that if you like DELL, you buy it by PHONE, i can assure you that you can get a better Price, if you are good at "asking for discounts". I bet you can get around a 10 to 15% discount if you try it. I have ieven got 25% discount once. Just dont ask for a DISCOUNT, instead first do your research on the Exact Model and configuration you want, and for example if the Online price is $1250, make one call to DELL and tell the Sales agent that you want that model but that it is a little out of your budget, but if he sells it to you for $1100, tell him you will buy it inmediately, and that you are ready to place the order.... Have your Credit card ready!.... With those extra $100 you can buy the extra RAM you need somewhere else.... Or Perhaps ask them to include 16GB of RAM for that same price ($1250) that could work too... And if you want to, you can go a little further and kindly ask for an extended WARRANTY, say 3 years...or Completecare..or a Cheap Monitor... Who knows!, is up to you. Believe me it will work. At least it has worked for me every time, and that is why i have been loyal to the Brand until now.

- Buy More RAM online from CRUCIAL, AMAZON, NEWEGG or any other place because Dell and Lenovo charges too much for RAM upgrade.

- All my computers for 15 years have been DELL and i am extremely happy with those.

B) -LENOVO ThinkStation E31 Tower_$1084 (Or even wait a little for the NEW model E32 which is coming out soon with the upgraded i7 4770 CPU: http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/web/LenovoPortal/en_US/builder.workflow:Enter?sb=:00000025:00003429:

Notes:

- To that Basic configuration for $704, change the following components: CPU=i7 3770 / VIDEO GPU = K600 / HDD = 1TB 7200rpm. Total: $1084

- Buy More RAM online from CRUCIAL, AMAZON, NEWEGG or any other place because Dell and Lenovo charges too much for RAM upgrade.

If right now i where to decide ONLY between that DELL or LENOVO model, i would go with the Lenovo E32 when it comes out... It looks more solidly built and for me a nicer looking design. Also LENOVO now gives more CONFIGURABILITY OPTIONS, for all the components, the same as DELL some years ago, but now DELL has changed its business model regarding this, and almost all Computers are already FIXED configurations, which for me SUCKS!!...

Nice UPGRADES that you could think for your computer if you increase a little your BUDGET, or maybe you can do it in the future:

- 32 GB Ram (You have to at least have 16GB)

- Upgraded GPU, like a QUADRO K2000, or a Geforce (ask someone else for this)

- 250 GB SSD Drive (altough i do not have experience with this, some people recommend it, but i think is worth it in Higher budget Workstations)

- Good 24 inch IPS Panel Monitor.

Good luck, i hope i have been of some help to you.

EDIT: Check out www.pcfoo.com _ You will learn quite a few things when planning on buying a new PC. Very well explained and configurations for each need and workflow.

Edited by unrinoceronte
added link

Thanks for the reply JD, it was very informative. I think I'll opt to build a desktop instead of buying branded ones and I'm looking forward to your post for your final build. I'll definitely go with what you're building since some of the hardware are what I've read in the forums so far and are on budget.

OK great, with building a PC it's all about compromise when working to a budget, but from my point of view go for the best CPU you can afford, then just juggle the other components until you have your shopping list. I always say prioritise the CPU, as this is a lot harder to change in the future, where as a GPU is very straight forward if you have more funds in the future.

I am glad you find it useful Vincent. But in the meantime take a serious consideration into both DELL and LENOVO options that i gave you. You will spend almost the same amount of money compared to if you build it your own, and with almost the SAME PERFORMANCE (considering you do not overclock, which in my case for now i dont think is that necessary...) Measure the Benefits and cons of just Buying an already configured System from those companies.

Please note that this is a particular situation in which a BRAND computer costs almost the same as a DIY PC with almost the SAME performance. This seems to happen only in this very PARTICULAR BUDGET.... If instead you go say for a $2000, $3000, $4000 Brand computer, this is a total different scenario, and in that case i will DEFINETELY ADVICE YOU to build your own computer from parts, and save a lot of money with the same or even better performance...

OK great, with building a PC it's all about compromise when working to a budget, but from my point of view go for the best CPU you can afford, then just juggle the other components until you have your shopping list. I always say prioritise the CPU, as this is a lot harder to change in the future, where as a GPU is very straight forward if you have more funds in the future.

Yes, thank you. I'm going for the 4th gen i7 in my case.

I am glad you find it useful Vincent. But in the meantime take a serious consideration into both DELL and LENOVO options that i gave you. You will spend almost the same amount of money compared to if you build it your own, and with almost the SAME PERFORMANCE (considering you do not overclock, which in my case for now i dont think is that necessary...) Measure the Benefits and cons of just Buying an already configured System from those companies.

Please note that this is a particular situation in which a BRAND computer costs almost the same as a DIY PC with almost the SAME performance. This seems to happen only in this very PARTICULAR BUDGET.... If instead you go say for a $2000, $3000, $4000 Brand computer, this is a total different scenario, and in that case i will DEFINETELY ADVICE YOU to build your own computer from parts, and save a lot of money with the same or even better performance...

I'll look into them after I finalize my build for comparison. Thanks again.

I don't know vendors or prices in your area, but generally what I'd say to somebody without an extravagant budget is:

Look for a current model i7 4-core, a motherboard that supports it and does not support the onboard video, a video card in the midrange of Radeons or Geforces (e.g., a Radeon 7770 is really quite good enough unless you work in models a lot more complex than is normal in arch vis, and in this price range a Quadro is not useful), a good case (better cases are easier to build and upgrade PCS in and run cooler and quieter than cheap ones) and power supply in the 550-650W range, 16GB of DDR3-1600 RAM (2x8GB or 4x4GB, you can buy it in sets), sufficient hard drive or hard drive plus SSD if your budget supports it, DVD+-RW and the keyboard and mouse you find comfortable. An external backup hard drive is usually a good idea, as is an IPS monitor.

Here you go Vincent, my updated component list:

Haswell Basic Workstation _ DIY / Built with $1075 Budget

There you have a $100 more to spend in a good upgrade to any component in my list...Good luck, and let us know what you decide.

P.D: Anyone else here thinks that going with the DELL Precision T1700 or the Lenovo E31/E32 Workstation is a good option for the $1200 BUDGET? (They have almost the same Specs and components (except overclockability) that the computer that i built myself. The list of my components is in the above link...)

A) DELL Precision T1700_$1249: http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=sp17m7107&model_id=precision-t1700-workstation&c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04

B) -LENOVO ThinkStation E31 Tower_$1084 (Or even wait a little for the NEW model E32 which is coming out soon with the upgraded i7 4770 CPU: http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/web/LenovoPortal/en_US/builder.workflow:Enter?sb=:00000025:00003429:

There are some features that are only supported by nvidia graphics cards, so if you use those features or plan to use them a GTX 760 would be a good choice for about $260.

Intels processors are about 10-15% better than AMD processors, but you have to pay another $200 for the same number of cores. AMD FX 8350 4.0ghz $190, intel i7-4770k 8 threads 3.5ghz $400. For that another $200 you can buy a watercooler (about $120-$150) and overclock the AMD cpu maybe to 4.5ghz, or buy an SSD instead ($200-$250).

Thank you for the links JD. I have read your post and its very informative, I have further readings to do, thanks for the guides that you've included. I think I'll also stick with your list and maybe switch the gpu with a different one. But I'll also search for alternatives for the other parts in case they're not available in my area.

Thank you for your well thought and very informative post, that helps us newbies a lot hehehe.

Thank you for the links JD. I have read your post and its very informative, I have further readings to do, thanks for the guides that you've included. I think I'll also stick with your list and maybe switch the gpu with a different one. But I'll also search for alternatives for the other parts in case they're not available in my area.

Thank you for your well thought and very informative post, that helps us newbies a lot hehehe.

You are welcome Vincent. I am glad that now i can be of some help. 3 or 4 months ago i was in the same exact situation as you, and this forum and their great members helped me a lot in looking and understanding what would be my best configuration for my first built computer. Everyone here is very helpful, i am always checking out this forum to learn something else and stay up to date, and i have noticed very consistent information and help from people like DIMITRIS TOLIOS, NUMEROBIS, DEAN PUNCHARD, JURAJ TALCIK, BENJAMIN STEINERT, ANDREW LYNN, and many others that might slip up my mind right now.

Hopefully more of them can come and comment on your Thread.

good luck

How big are your models?

How fast do you want to render?

Do you want to do any gaming on your machine? Which games? Graphics settings?

Are you planning on using vray rt?

What kind of monitor do you have?

What do you expect of your machine? Noise, power consumption, size, etc.

Thanks for the reply Joel, as for your queries:

- My models aren't that big or complex, they're mostly single-detached residences but would like to work with ease for apartment buildings, row houses and mid rise structures. I use vray proxy a lot for the different elements other than the buildings like the background/foreground trees and cars.

- My ideal render time would be of the above average, maybe have a decent/practical time for an image of 6000 pixels (longest side). Is that possible with my budget?

- I'm planning to use the rig mainly for rendering, games are not a priority but would like to be able to play fps games like COD. Game graphics are not that important to me and I'm contented with low settings.

- I'm not planning to use vray rt but I would like to test out lumion with a budget card for now.

- My current desktop has a crt monitor (yeah that's old school, hehe) but I'm planning to replace it with an IPS monitor. Can you also recommend a good but affordable IPS monitor? Thanks.

- I want my machine to be fairly quiet, doesn't consume too much electricity, size is not an issue, performs well.

I bought an LG IPS237L. It is cheap compared to other monitors, has no extra features, but its factory color calibrated which is a big plus for me. Its dicontinued, maybe you won't find in your area, but if you do, i can recommend this one.

Thanks Krisztian, I'll try to find one in my area, hopefully its still available.

CPU AND MOTHERBOARD:

Get the i7 because you said that renderspeed is important for you. If you have the budget you can go for a overclock cpu (k-version) and matching motherboard (z87 chipset). But you will need a very good (and expensive) cpu cooler to keep a haswell cool when overclocked.

http://nl.hardware.info/reviews/4585/2/48-desktop-en-66-mobiele-processors-getest-in-cinebench-115-resultaten

http://www.hardware.fr/articles/904-4/performances-applicatives.html

If you overklok the i7 with a custom watercooler (corsair h 110) to its max you can reach a cinebench score of 10. But wether you are able to reach a very good overclock depends on how lucky you are with getting a good cpu. Some cpu's don't overclock well.

If you don't want to overclock the i7 (non-k) that is fine to. And cheaper. You can buy a B85 mobo (motherboard) with that or a h87 mobo if you need some extra raid functions. Use the internet to find out the difference between the b85 and h87 mobo.

CPU COOLING:

You get a stock cooler if you buy a cpu, but i would replace the stock cpu cooler for a aftermarket cpu cooler. If you don't want to overclock you also don't need the most expensive cpu cooler (Gelid Tranquillo Rev.2).

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/SilverStone-TD02-CPU-Cooler-Review/1810/6

http://nl.hardware.info/productinfo/benchmarks/19/cpu-koelers?specId=10776&tcId=312

RAM:

When you know what kind of cpu and mobo you want you need ram. I would recommend getting 16 gb 1600 mhz. Go to the site of kingston, crucial or your mobo manufacturer and see what they recommend for your mobo.

GPU:

Because you don't have very large models a gaming card is just fine. The amd's are at sale now. So that would be a good choice.

http://forums.cgarchitect.com/74635-cpu-gpu-choices-arch-student.html

http://lumion3d.com/forum/f-a-q/lumion-2-minimum-hardware-requirements/

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

(for lumion you want a gpu with as many cores as possible and amd offers more cores than nvidea and more Memory Interface Width for the same price)

PSU:

You are save with seasonic and xfx for a good quality power supply unit (psu) for a reasonble price. Look for a xfx pro 550 or a Seasonic M12II 520W. (If you want even better quality you can go for the g-series from seasonic or for the Cooler Master V Series).

Be carefull when buying a psu and make sure your psu has every necessary connector for your components (especially your gpu).

CASE:

This is a difficult one, because there is so much choice. It depends on your personal preferences and than there is the performance of the case. A quick answer i can give you is that if you want a decent combination between cooling and low noise you can look at the cases of fractal design. (my personal choice would be the antec gx700)

http://nl.hardware.info/productinfo/benchmarks/7/behuizingen?specId=8874&tcId=283

SSD AND HDD:

If you can afford a ssd try to get a +/- 250 gb ssd. If you don't have the money right know for a ssd, just use a hdd (seagate barracuda 1tb 7200 rpm). Make also sure you have a good back up for your data.

MONITOR:

Sreen size is the most important. The bigger the screen the better you can see stuff. I have a 27" 1080p and it is really fine for photoshop and 3dsmax. Don't be fooled and be confused that you need the best and the most expensive monitor for your software. Because that is simply not true. Trust me, you won't be counting pixels on a 27" 1080p.

In your case i would advise you to get a budget 27" 1920x1080p monitor and you are good to go. Look on the internet for reviews and user experience to help with your choice. Look also for extra options like vesa wall mount if you want to hang your monitor on the wall. It's all about personal preferences. You can also buy a smaller size monitor. (I prefer two monitors which are placed direct under each other (surface of the monitors facing towards my eyes) in stead of next to each other. This way you don't have to turn your head from left to right.)

Hello again,

This will be my chosen specs. I've opted for a non-overclockable desktop since I am still new about overclocking.

CPU=4770 - (non k version)

Mobo=Asrock h87 m pro 4

Ram=16 gb ares ram

HDD= WD Caviar Black 1 TB

PSU = corsair tx 650 watts

GPU=gtx 650 2gb

CPU Cooler= CoolerMaster Seidon 120m

Dvd= Lite-On DVD+/-RW Dual Layer IHAS124-04

Case =Fractal Core 1000 (I don't know if my specs will fit into it. I've read about articles on casings having some clearance issues.)

Tell me what you think about it. Thanks.

Edited by vincentreyes

Case: The Core 1000, tho a great super compact mATX case, will have issues with your Seidon 120m.

The rear exhaust fan mount is for 92mm fans, and you will need a 120mm mount to fit the Seidon (or other 120mm CLCs). There is a front mounted intake 120mm fan, but it might be a tight fit with the hoses being a bit short to comfortably route over the GPU and to the CPU block.

The core 1000 also uses an un-conventional vertical mounted HDD/SSD panel, and you might lose the ability to mount anything further than one HDD on that to allow for hose clearance. Same would happen should you opt for a really long GPU (the 650 is fine).

There are 2 options:

1)stick with the Core 1000 and drop the Seidon…you won’t need it if you are not planning on overclocking. The included intel cooler will work fine with your 4770.

2) Leave the Core 1000 for another case that would fit everything easier. I would recommend switching to the Cooler Master N200. It is a great little case (same height than the Core 1000, but a bit wider) in a very attractive price. It offers many features that cannot be found in the Core 1000, or any mATX case before the $90+ really, like ability to mount large GPU cards (bigger than anything available today), 120 or even 240mm radiators, has USB 3.0 front port, removable / washable dust filters and a pretty cool, minimal black design aesthetic. I think CM nailed it with this one. It is often found on sale in the $40 range, but usually in the $45-50.

CPU: I would get the K, even if I would not O/C. The price difference should be in the $10-15 or something like that - correct me if I'm wrong.

The K is much easier to sell as it appeals to more people (even if they won't overclock themselves, they do know that the "k" is the good one), and ofc it is one thing saying "I am a newbee in overclocking", and a totally different thing saying "I will forfeit any posibility doing it".

You will have the cooler (given you won't stick with the stock one), you will have the mobo, you will have the PSU to support it...why not?