Vray HDRI - Lighting/Contrast Issues

tampac66

Hi all,

Working on a rendering and using an HDRI in a vray light done for the first time. The Sky is from CG-Source. (link: http://www.cg-source.com/details_hdrisky.php?id=0083-04&pricat=sky) I am also using Linear Workflow.

Im still in draft stage of this, so ignore the bad textures /strange revit topography. I can't seem to get the sky to look bright like it does in the sample on their website without overexposing the model. I've tried tons of different vray camera settings and ive tried messing with the multipliers on the vrayHDRI but I just can't seem to get it to work.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what im doing wrong?

?ui=2&ik=33a20b9aca&view=fimg&th=1436b3ab77c9a147&attid=0.4&disp=inline&realattid=f_hq4qfinm3&safe=1&attbid=ANGjdJ8aTpRSsZcbdORT8BdG-ZUF-lG2qXtHP9NTghthDfdNKmfa2Gew-KuBBfsEk9qw2AySe7a3AV8-Y-JAtvby2vD6DhzkXzCdz64lmJKBYhVHJaoi4b25uXUBOcY&ats=1389108686600&rm=1436b3ab77c9a147&zw&sz=w855-h603

You need to post more information if you can and the image you tried to post doesn't seem to be working for me.

How did you bring in the HDRI? in a VrayHDRI Map? if so then be sure you are using the true HDRI file or an EXR and a typical scenario would be to set the dome at 1.0 intensity as well as the Map. At time you will have one that need to be adjusted in the map, but I would always leave the dome at 1.0. Contrast can be added by lowering the HDRI's gamma from 1.0 to something between 0.75-0.95. This will focus the light point.

You should also be sure that your camera is set properly... un-tick vignette and set your EV value as you would for the HDRI sky type in the real world. In my opinion, F= 8, Shutter = 50 and ISO = 160 is where I would start. I would also set the white balance to Neutral.

Lastly, what is your render approach? are you saving the file and then viewing or trusting the frame buffer? are you using the VFB? did you check on sRGB? Is your dome light invisible or visible? Is the light value okay and the image in the camera just dull?

There is a lot more to this story.