Beginner problem with texturing

chrisjm

Hi All,

I'm a real beginner, so this will probably be an easy one.

Having linked a Revit model into 3ds Max, I'm now applying textures and adding lighting etc. Currently I'm trying to add a corrugated metal cladding finish to the building. I'm working with a painted metal diffuse map and a sine wave-esque displacement map I created using gradient in photoshop.

The problem makes itself apparent when rendering, the material seems to apply differently to polygons within the face, and not the face itself, leading to strange interference-ey effects (see attached image 1).

Help much appreciated, thanks.

Chris M

1.jpg

Hey Chris -

Looks like you're not using any UV's on your geometry. Select the geometry that you want to be textured properly, select a UVW map modifier and put it to box mapping mode. From there you can tweak the size of the UV's in the settings below.

If you're looking to displace this though, I would rebuild that geometry inside of max if you've got the time.

Cheers.

Jason

Thanks Jason, unfortunately this material is rather dependent on displacement so it sounds like that is what I need to do! i would have expected the linked revit geometry to be 'pure', any idea why it has come in subdivided like that?

Regards,

Chris M

You thought wrong. All revit geometry imported into max will be horrible. Not sure why the mapping is so bad, was there a material applied in Revit? I can't remember but you might want to try putting a material with a bitmap on everything before exporting to see if that fixes the mapping problem. Since the geometry is rather simple you probably can manually fix it rather than redoing it just depends on what you are more comfortable with.

Yeah, Revit mapping is shite. I have however been able to solve scale issues with a UVW Xform modifier and setting the multiplier to 254 (or 25.4 if you work in cm) and this will let you use your maps with "real world scale" enabled. This is because all of Revits internal workings are feet & inches, I believe.

Revit defaults to feet as a unit scale and defaults to "real world" coordinates on the geometry when coming into Max. As a general rule of thumb, you can't displace Revit geometry since it is so crappy. If you want to displace it, you need to rebuild the parts you want to displace with good clean geometry.