refraction/transparency problem vray 3dsmax

Hi all,

i'm a bit of a newby on the field of vray rendering and I got some sort of problem with my refractions. As you can see the refractions in my image are all granular and are not see through at all... In the viewport before rendering it kind of looks like I want to have it, but once I render the viewport I get this granular look...

The vray 'glass' material has a thickness and I also put a printscreen of my settings in this thread..so it hopefully makes it a little bit easier for you to be able to help me hopefully.

Thanks a lot in advance! :D:D

scheme refraction problem.jpg

scheme as it should be.jpg

Hi Lucienne,

from your materials settings, first you should disable or un-check "use interpolation" in both channels reflections and refraction. This sometimes is useful to speed up rendering with glossy materials but usually create ugly results.

Also you have dispersion on in refraction channel, this should be used only if you want to create colorful caustics or some soft or tainted glass effect, in your case it is not worth for the image that you are creating.

Also you don't have 100% transparency in your glass, so if this is what you want, simulate a sort of frosted glass, then your image is doing exactly what you are asking to do, frosted glass in top of each other will diminish the visibility. You will need to increase the samples in your glossy and maybe increase the depth or ray for transparency, this is controlled with the max depth values. default is 5 work in most of the cases, in your case since you have several solid glasses in top of each other you may try a higher number, 10 or 14.

Give this a try and let us know how it goes ;)