Handing over Photoshop and/or 3D files to clients.....

kenzimmerman

So I've been doing architectural visualization for about 15 years now, and my clients almost never ask me for the photoshop or 3d files. But for some reason, this year a few clients have asked me for either the photoshop file or the 3ds max file at the end of the process. Just for the record, I'm staunchly against the practice of giving these files to clients. I don't think it works as a business model. But at the same time, I don't want to annoy any clients.

Also, I'm wondering if other visualization artist have started giving their clients psd and model files, and that's why new clients are expecting this from me??

I was wondering if anyone has this same issue? and what your solution was?

Ken

Edited by kenzimmerman

I don't do that many jobs, but it hasn't happened to me. I too would not want to do it. Why do they want the files? I can't see any reason other than "so we can do something without paying you for the next use". Further, you worked hard and the deliverable (i.e. current state of the PSD) represents your best work, represents you. If some schmuck gets the PSD, next thing you know they "improve" it but it still has your name on it. "Wow, who did your latest flier? Looks like garbage." "Oh, that was Ken. Yeah, he sucks."

I've asked for them before from a third party (and gotten them) but it was for a very practical reason which was to be able to make last minute changes on a tight deadline; didn't have time to keep going back and forth.

I can see, though, someone unscrupulous just moving the camera around and getting a couple of more free renders or using it as a valuable design aid tool.

Edited by heni30

I guess my big concern is, that maybe some freelancers or viz firms are sometimes giving the psd or 3d files to clients, for whatever reason. But it's a practice I don't want to see get any kind of momentum. I recently did a set a renderings for a client in LA. It was my first time working with them. They typically work with a competitor. And at the end of the process, they told me that my competitor would sometimes give them the psd files. I was a bit surprised..... so they asked me for mine. I gave them the middle finger and went about my business. I just don't want to see this kind of practice in our profession. And the younger hungry newbies should be told NOT to give anyone these files. It hurts our profession.

There needs to be a better understanding of what we are selling....

We are selling a finished product, not a process. It's none of the clients damn business how we get to this finished product as long as it is a finished product he or she approves of.

As I've said before we could have carved it out of a potato and made a print of it for all they should care or we could have produced what looks like a perfect 3d rendering with crayons, again it is none of their business unless they have a problem with the finished product.

As Ken say's though, if there are people in our industry out there handing out 3Dfiles or even PSD files then they are doing not just themselves a dis-service but all of us.

In my quote, i stipulate very clearly that working files (psd, max) are not included and if they need those it will be an additional cost. There was one time, when the architect asked for a psd file, since they can't decide whether to include, exclude or ghost some of the trees. So I gave them a flattened psd with only the trees in a separate layer.

As much as I am against the practice, sometimes there are valid reasons for asking for the files. So whenever a client asks for them I ask why. I also stipulate that I can't give any of the textures and third party models for licencing reasons.

If its part of a collaboration, then yes I do give the files, as long as its agreed to in first.

Sometimes its OK, most of the time its not.

I worked in a studio where we used freelancers to produce renderings for us from time to time when we were super busy. Usually we kept it all in-house.

As we were paying for the service we would expect all files as we needed it for our records. No questions asked. It's tricky to give files but I think if they are paid for you can't argue. Also if you are that good, they cannot copy or replicate your good work. If this is an issue, then find clients that won't give you the hassle

I do not feel that handing over a model or photoshop files will instantaneously give anyone the ability to do what I do. At best it will take them days on their own to do with my files what would take me minutes or hours.

That doesn't mean that those assets have no additional value, but that their value is significantly less without me to work with them.

There is probably a better way to word that for a client, but don't hesitate to tell them the truth.