Furniture Models for Archviz

James Vella

I thought Id create this thread so I can post models Im working on that are available for artists, also get feedback since you guys are the ones that will be using them. Also Id like to get a gauge on what you do and dont like (it can be anything from the design to the polycount or something that looks like it needs attention etc). I want to ensure the quality reflects the user experience essentially. Everything is original made and royalty free, you can use commercially or for projects whatever you like.

Furniture Kitbash Set

My idea for the first pack of models (there will be around 36) in this one is specifically for kitbashing, Im also providing them directly in case you want just a few pieces of the set without needing the whole lot or if you want to test out the quality. The idea behind this set is when doing exterior renderings of large apartments/house facades it would be nice to have a set of kitchens, living rooms, dining, plants, accessories etc that you can scatter using forestpro (ill also have this setup so you can just place it on colored squares or spline shapes) and then it automatically populates and randomly switches furniture sets/materials for each furniture piece, render below). It will also stick to the floor for furniture, pendants to the ceilings, artwork to the walls etc saving us time to focus on the exterior layout. Also by using forestpro it can clip by distance so your furniture doesnt need to render per camera saving ram etc if required.

The kit-bash set is specifically Low Polygon but keeping to a high standard (erring on the side of quality). Textures based on geometry size and keeping them all to around 512-1024px because of the distance involved, as well as having mostly basic materials (when I can, sometimes larger textures if really necessary to maintain quality). Also having them low poly (Keeping each set under 80k is the goal) means you can have many in the viewport with native mesh without causing problems, so far with all of these models in the scene I can still navigate at 100fps on a 1060GTX so the goal is it should be the same or close when finished, ill also provide proxy versions for outside cases but for now thats the plan.

I would love your feedback on any of these, feel free to jump into the conversation if you feel like you can add value as my hopes are keeping you involved in the creation process might be useful for you too if you have some things you or your business would like made specifically for some project and would be a win-win for both of us, or maybe you just feel like being apart of the design process :) I would be happy to give discount coupons on these items for those who make contributions that end up effecting the process in a positive way, as Id love to give back to the community that has helped me.

Also working on some kitchens at the moment, Im having a tough time deciding on the colors for the stools if you have an opinion on it Id love to hear it (WIP mind you)!

Artstation-Entry-Tables.jpg

Artstation-Dining-Tables.jpg

Artstation-Balconys.jpg

IMO everything looks great, I really like the idea of having a set ready to be scattered with forest or Raicloner, that is a big time-saving. If you could post a video demonstrating this, it would really help to promote your furnitures.

Now, this is my opinion, there are plenty of furniture sources around already, some of them very mediocre but cheap others very high quality.

But since our industry is diving very deep into real-time engines, not many of those furniture models companies are making their models real-time ready.

Since you already are concern about polygon count, I guess it would make a big difference in this saturated market to do these models realtime ready, this would mean, textures baked/unwrapped, everything PBR and LOD. That my friend would sell very good in the Unreal market place or Unity library.

most of the stuff over there is for video games, so furniture is very gross looking or too high polycount for VR experiences.

My two cents.

Thanks for the feedback Francisco, I will definitely make a video once I have it all setup and working correctly (it should be about January by that time if all goes well).

You make a good point about PBR, which I was a little torn when making the decision to either go for the scattering pack or game-ready as the two categories are a bit conflicting for this goal. These were some things I had to consider:

Offline Rendering

- Uvs are easy to scale beyond the islands for tiling

- Less textures required for additional channels (gloss/bump/ior etc)

- Materials easy to swap out colors (say you want a blue leather instead of brown)

- Materials can have offline settings such as fall-off’s based on camera, blend materials, built-in color-correction, color maps instead of textures.

- Geometry is easy to break apart so you can swap materials on items quickly for your design/intent.

Game-Ready (PBR)

- Uvs/Materials are hard-set (giving the artist more work if they want to replace materials or change UVs)

- More textures to load into memory (which in this pack I wanted to reduce as much as possible, for example a simple color can be a color in the material instead of a texture to load)

- Geometry can be provided in different LOD using edge loops/creases/smoothing

- Cross-application support (this is one of the major benefits, at the moment creating the FBX/OBJ/Blender version requires a fair amount of rework but can be accessible for users in different software)

Currently all models are unwrapped however to make sure they tile correctly at the right size I have extended them beyond the tile islands sometimes, materials are simple using vray/corona's material system (basically using the diffuse and a color correction/output to control the intensity of the gloss/bump saving ram on additional textures, or fall-off's based on camera). I did a few tests with some of the models in Unreal and I will have to re-create the materials specifically for real-time which will make them look different to the original. One area which I’m struggling to come to a decision is - would it be a better idea to supply these as a separate game-ready model, or update the packs to include them even though they will look slightly different? I would not want to upset the artist or have some element of confusion.

Thanks again for your input! Its good to get some feedback on this as its easy to get stuck in your own bubble and really I want to make this a good experience for artists who can use this to speed up their workflow and make it as simple as possible to use & adjust to their needs.

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to let you know since its Black Friday all my models and model packs are 50% off, some as low as $3.

Also if you find anything you would like adjusted for future models please let me know - feedback is much appreciated as I want the experience to be pleasant for the artists who use them!

https://www.cgtrader.com/jmdvella

Sales-Black-Friday-Twitter.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Small update on the kitchens I have recently finished, if anything looks out of place please let me know. I have included a couple of close ups as well to see while still trying to keep these low poly - but with the chamfers it added a few more pollys than I wanted. Better to be on the quality side though I think.

For wireframes or more/higher res images you can check out the link below:

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/Qz0dzZ

Preview-Kitchen-A-1.jpg

Preview-Kitchen-A-3.jpg

Preview-Kitchen-A-4.jpg

Preview-Kitchen-B-1.jpg

Edited by redvella

Living Room interior pack number 1 of 4. This was a fun challenge to keep the poly count down when adding lots of cloth meshes and a small plant with a total of 64,000 polygons. Thank you to my partner Katarina Kondelova for providing the beautiful hand painted acrylic artwork for the wall canvas. Comments and Criticisms always welcome!

For tech specs and wireframes you can view the link below:

Technical Specifications

Preview-Living-A-1.jpg

Preview-Living-A-2.jpg

Preview-Living-A-3.jpg

Preview-Living-A-4.jpg

Edited by redvella

Your sofa pillows look far too soft - almost worn out and the other cushions too stiff like they have plywood backing.

Bolster pillows should never collapse under their on weight as they are meant to be supportive-

https://www.houzz.com/products/swizzle-gray-velvet-bolster-pillow-prvw-vr~57120032

Leather poofs should look more irregular-

https://www.houzz.com/product/53697804-moroccan-leather-stuffed-pouf-cream-mediterranean-floor-pillows-and-poufs

The rug is linear, monochromatic and formal which is fighting the abstract painting. Change it to more of a solid color - perhaps a flokati or low shag.

Lastly,

you have 3 different items with wood and they are all different species. Pick one that is more complimentary with the artwork and stick with it.

Thank you for the feedback John, much appreciated!

Now you mention that pillow does look too much like a deformed bolster pillow, I was going for a different kind but Ill have to revist the shape.

I agree with you about the wood, I was trying to keep with my reference but maybe because the introduction of the painting it is clashing.

Hmm you are right about the leather now I have had a much closer look at my reference (and the one you have provided).

Reference:

Annotation-2019-12-13-224920.jpg

Thanks again for the critique, its very helpful!

• 1 month later...

Living Room interior pack number 2 of 4 available for download. A few extra unique plants on this one with the daisy flower and fern in the back corner. All new cloth made specific for this scene while trying to keep the poly count down (wire frames available on the link below). Any comments and critique always welcome!

Preview-Living-B-1.jpg

Preview-Living-B-2.jpg

Preview-Living-B-3.jpg

Preview-Living-B-4.jpg

Download & Wireframes:

https://www.cgtrader.com/3d-models/furniture/furniture-set/living-b-blue-neutral-hq-low-poly-archviz