Curious Post on Rhino Newsgroup

Fran

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have an uneasy feeling they once again tried to impress us (for ex. with a new sky system) adding little nice things like the 3d globe and stuff - yet failed to deliver the needed render quality..things sounded so great when darthy started his informative thread (i can read it with 8etty's account - yep my post was way over the top - but i like the smileys here better anyway:o) but he gets more and more 'evasive' lately - no?

Hey Whisky :)

Nice to see you,

I'll tell you, that Maxwell forum has put me in some bad moods myself. It's the deception which has made me so angry. Their only contact with us has been like a used car salesman saying anything they can to keep us on the lot. We can't belive a single thing at this point, until we see actual renders of something besides balls.

well i don't want them to code till 4 o'clock in the morning..they now did this for months...how good that code can be:confused: with a little honesty they'd take so much pressure of their backs.

i mean a thread once a week like: this week we tried to improve sunlight..unfortunately it didn't work completely but we have a solution..on the other hand we fixed the spherical mapping and bump..stuff like that..it doesn't take that long and everybody would cool down and accept that it'll take 'em another 6 months:)

So that's our Thomas An.

Also known as stone face?

That's Big Stone Face, thank you very much.

Fran--joking? Mostly, just gallows humor. But not completely. We, but me in particular, gave him a very hard time for being a fascist moderator. Maybe NextLimit did ask him to hand in the delete button and he's feeling a bit negative of late.

But I do share your surprise and concern with the implications of a betatester saying 'steer clear'.

That's Big Stone Face, thank you very much.

Fran--joking? Mostly, just gallows humor. But not completely. We, but me in particular, gave him a very hard time for being a fascist moderator. Maybe NextLimit did ask him to hand in the delete button and he's feeling a bit negative of late.

But I do share your surprise and concern with the implications of a betatester saying 'steer clear'.

Beta tester is two words :)

i have an uneasy feeling they once again tried to impress us (for ex. with a new sky system) adding little nice things like the 3d globe and stuff - yet failed to deliver the needed render quality..

I've thought about this, too- the MLT algorithm has been around for years, and it's limitations are well understood. Maxwell's success depends on getting around the limitations, which seems to be the toughest task of all. They keep trying to dazzle us with material editors and the like, but it doesn't seem like they're capable of dealing with the big issues (render times, glass/sun, clipmaps) at all... every attempt to do so has created awful render quality.

That's not a good sign a few days (maybe) before the groundbreaking RC5 release.

I don't think anyone has posted that link on Maxwell's forum. I certainly do not have the heart to do so, I've done enough to Big Stone Face already. But the anarchist in me would enjoy watching the chaos. I'ld rather be working with a new product, but since that isn't happening, what's left but poking sticks at our tormentors?

I'm embarrased to be so obviously obsessed with this soap opera, to be acting in it. I have trouble with letting go of things I think can still be changed to something I want them to be. However, at this point the chance that we will see what we've all expected of maxwell is pretty slim. So it is, sometimes. I have work to be doing and other rendering products that actually work.

Really it is becoming time to either just turn away, hope for a product somwday, or decide to pull the plug and try to get the investment back, even if it hurts NextLimit and the fading chance of getting something later. Either way, I hope I can get a divorce from this silliness I have married myself into.

Part 1: They are working hard and have pressure.

Answer : They dont wont pressure,? Ok Refund everyone and when they are done they will inform us. They can take 4 years if they like then.

You cannot ask for both. Money and time. You have to choose.

Part 2: Various Subjects

If the core engine was ready, then the project could finish easily. You actually do a core sdk and then work on top. This is how you do complex projects.

If they have a messed up core, then we will not see Maxwell not in 1-2 months but not in 1-2 years.

I said in the Maxwell forum that they have to give a deadline.

For example in 8 months if the project is not ready we will refund you.

But i am sure they will not do anything like that.

I wonder what we should do and when to seek legal action.