Did you think that things cannot be worse?

buffos

I'm waiting for VRay to run within Sketchup.

Has anyone actually done a poll on what credit cards were used to pay for MR. I'm sure that the majority will be Visa or MasterCard. If we can get most buyers to act as a group and approach the banks for a refund - allmost lke a class action approach...

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, a noisy rendering of sun shining through a window and it only took five hours. Will wonders never cease?:rolleyes: The shadiness and arrogance of Darth's "question" has pushed me one giant step closer to joining any kind of group action to get Next Limit to either deliver (not bloody likely) or give us our money back.

Jack

At least it appears they fixed the sunlight/glass problem. Looks like 'dialectrics' or whatever they call them now still create alot of noise, thus the high render times. Hard to understand why all the 'shadiness' surrounding such an important "feature" (!). The robot leg is less than impressive, minus the artist's signature...

Isn't the new sunlight image the same image (4 windows, 1 without glass) they showed before the release of RC1?

They seem to have a slightly different approach this time as the previous one's didn't work as expected. Now with this new revised core they implement the features first, then make them work as they should and when that's done they do the core optimisations. So far this is the best and most optimal approach they have taken to get Maxwell working and in a relative short time. It should however been done a few months ago.. :)

The infamous noise and long rendertimes is probably because they have yet to optimise the core alot more, but i suspect they have routines and code and also algorithms from previous testcores they made which they apparently optimized which they could reuse again for this new one in RC5 and 1.0 and get the job done faster that way.

These are my own guesses, don't quote me on these guesses now :)

/ Max

this is a very confusing and disappointing situation... but maybe at least we get back that original 'maxwell look' of renderings if development now follows the old beta engine again.

still no word if finally clipmaps are working and if the problem with blurred rendering areas behind dielectrics is resolved now. anyone with more info's about that?

especially the latter makes architectural renderings with glass elements very difficult, if not impossible. simple windows can be done with compositing layers, but a more complex glass construction at the moment cannot be rendered without those blurs, which makes mxw completely useless for a lot of projects. i'm writing from the point of view of a mac user, so i'm still at the point to use the old beta version from last summer.

markus

I wouldn't exactly be too hasty about breaking out the confetti.

Don't forget that before the Beta was released, Sunlight would eventually go through glass if left for very extended periods of time, but the probelms was that there were other realted bugs that never resolved such as caustics and reflections of interior illuminated objects off the dielectric surfaces. Mike's render didn't exaclty give any conclusive proof that any of these problems had been fixed.

Furthermore, you can also do the same renders with the Beta Engine as Nuno Faria did:

(Also don't forget that a big part of the problem was the fact that You couldn't see Sunlight through glass from the other side of the glass surface as the second image shows. Until they show renders that leave no doubt that this problem has been fixed, it's pretty hard to get excited about the announcement. And those rendertimes........................Yeeeeeeeesh).

yep, in alpha stage it used to work, and in beta it might work even depending on scene size and how much of the scene was off camera:

http://www.maxwellrender.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1720

as you say, caustics (like the ones produced by sunlight when passing through a glass object) didn't appear if seen through glass. the same problem is there even when usng emitters instead of sun:

http://www.caribouz.com/mas/caust.jpg

That's something I don't understand. If they could have gotten the RC engine working with the old materials with fewer bugs, they could have released it as another beta. Provided coop. rendering worked, and that all plugs and platforms were supported, and we had some info on what to expect later, nearly everyone would have been happy.

I think that what I've described is precisely what we were lead to expect in the RC1.

Anyone remember that spoof commercial from Saturday Night Live about Dockers and the guys standing around coming up with really bad ideas?

I'm talking to my bank tomorrow to see what alternatives I have regarding a refund for my most recent license purchase. If I'm successful, and in the future, Maxwell turns out to be what it was promised to be, then I'll gladly purchase another license at full (reseller) price.

That's something I don't understand. If they could have gotten the RC engine working with the old materials with fewer bugs, they could have released it as another beta. Provided coop. rendering worked, and that all plugs and platforms were supported, and we had some info on what to expect later, nearly everyone would have been happy.

I think that what I've described is precisely what we were lead to expect in the RC1.

I completely agree... I have no real insights on this stuff, but I wonder if they're just too panicked and/or overworked to make good decisions about these things.

They advertised ultra fast rendering, noise going away fast.... and other ***** . They are people who bought it believing at it. Now they take it back.

I think they dont know what they are doing.

They have lost it, and even if they say that rs1+ is very different from rs1 you can see that it not.

Look at the noise pattern......Beta.....

We are waiting so much time... to give us back the beta (sorry i forgot... the ALPHA) WITHOUT clipmaps, volumetrics, SSS, displcement maps....and a long long list of missing features.

We have a year since we have seen a feature added. We always see feature subtracted... and then they say.. wait wait wait..

This is really stupid.

Tommorow i will start email the EUcommitee for consumer rights.

I want a refund to buy a new product.

Maxwell wont be a product at least for the next 2 years. (and perhaps i am underestimating)

Guys , I'm going to develop an ultrafast renderengine, unbiased, spectral calculations, displacement, real DOF, SSS, skylight system, and capable of producing 10,000x10,000 images in less than 5 secs. NTSC animations will be produced in realtime!!. Plugins for all known 3d apps(including cosmicblobs) as well as plugins for winamp, Norton AV, MS word, excel, and notepad will be available in a short period of time.

GIVE ME YOUR MONEY NOW, so I'll start to develop this beautiful and revolutionary renderengine!!!! you'll be provided with constant updates all over the development...

How am I supposed to do all that??? I have no f** idea!, But as soon as I get your money, I'll start to do research, research and research until I find a way.

BTW, I'm planning to develop a cure against cancer, as well as a spaceship as fast as the light.If anyone is interested, send me your money.

I've seen some math that says light speed spaceships are impossible, but if you can solve MLT problems in logarithmic time (I'm assuming that to get that speed at 10,000x10,000 you've made it so that higher res renders faster) then you can apply the same principles. I'm in, but only if I can be on your A-Team without being your forum moderator :)