problem with memory and shadows...please help!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think there's anything wrong with your textures, I think those splotches are photon artifacts. I don't know Vray very well, but if you were doing this in Mental Ray, I'd say increase your number of photons, increase your sampling radius, or increase your noise filtering. Better yet, I wouldn't use photon-based global illumination at all for an outdoor scene, I'd use Final Gather with maybe one ray bounce to fill in the dark shadows a bit. But again, I don't know how well any of that translates to Vray.

Nah, its pretty odd for Vray to go that wacky, unless theres a setting somewhere thats SERIOUSLY off kilter. The fact you have GI turned on, but all the shadows are black tells me somethings up. Do you have a skydome over everything?

Guys I thought it had to do with everything in the scene being proxies. At least that's what I got from one of your earlier posts. I would not have guessed anything with xrefs either. The render settings were not bad. It was weird though that a scene that size would be 1gb. After a while I just thought the scene was corrupted.

I'm really curious about your xref issues. Can you post a shot of your xref objects dialog?

Also I might be wrong but did you make your objects xrefs and then create proxies from their source files?

Yeah proxies are great. Its coming along much better dude.

I noticed in one of the earlier shots that the palms were acting up and washed out but the broadleaf trees looked like they were fine. Were the palm files and the broadleafs referenced in a different way?

Keep updating with your progress.

I still consider myself a noob at vray but if that is the vray sky in the background of your image then there is some exposure issues going on with your scene. IMO it is not good to mix lights with or have more than one light in an exterior. if you are using vraysun as light source you wil need to use vray physcam. what version of vray are you using. if Vray 1.5sp2 then dump a vray sun in the scene. if it asks to replace the background w/ vraysky than do it. check enviro override in render dialog and add vray sky map to enviro override. lose or reduce vignette in vray. in color mapping use reinhard only if you like the burn look or really bright almost blinding whites. in the color mapping boost the gamma .1 at a time tell you see what you are looking for. for the sun settings make sure the sun is behind the camera and set turbidity to 4.0. remember to keep vraysun/sky/cam together. don't use manual and make sure exposure turned on. if you use the default out of the box settings for vraysun/sky/cam you should be ok with tweeks i mentioned above. create ir maps and brute force or lightcache at low res and save. then boost res and render using the gi files. hope this helps and hasn't been suggest before. last thought, do you have gamma viewport turned on? try turning it off.

if you can I would update to 1.5 sp2 that is if you have usb the dongle/ hardware lock key. I forget which release they required the key. check chaosgroup site it should say. I don't really no why you have to use the vray physcam other than that the vraysun/sky/cam form a simbiotic relationship. one will not work correctly without the other. if you have to use max cam then use direct light. the vray physcam's exposure setting works better with the vraysun and there is less tweeking required with vray sun.

Decrease shutterspeed. try 10 or 5 or whatever fits....

you also have vignetting turned ON. in your previous post you said you don't have that at all. check your camera sttings just under exposure....

HTH

change shutter to 300(photogeeks will shreek but the inverse thing is not applied until it starts proccessing the render),keep iso at 100, turn off vignette, change f-number to 8, drag vraysky from enviro dialog(press the 8 key) to enviro override in render dialog and also to a slot in material editor to make sure that it not set to manual sun node, make sure size and intensity of sun is set to 1.0, change GI bounce to 1, on Irradiance map if high takes to long set to medium(I have notice little difference with well modeled geometry) and check show calc phase, try light cache for secondary and make sure show calc phase is checked(this will provide a preview of how well the scene is lit), for color mapping I would use reinhard with gamma set to 1.2(it weakens the shadow darkness). i hope the render dialog image was just to show your settings. you need to render the camera view and more importantly the vray camera view for this to work. has the render time improved. run tests previews at low res and once you get that right setting render at high res.

change shutter to 300(photogeeks will shreek but the inverse thing is not applied until it starts proccessing the render)

don't you make a confusion ?...the render is way too dark.. and s-1 means "per second". so if you increase the sutter speed, the render will be darker...he has to decrease it..... or, if he wants to use real shutter values, he has to set up scene differently (increase sun intensity and use real vray sky values....)

Cheers.

don't you make a confusion ?...the render is way too dark.. and s-1 means "per second". so if you increase the sutter speed, the render will be darker...he has to decrease it..... or, if he wants to use real shutter values, he has to set up scene differently (increase sun intensity and use real vray sky values....)

Cheers.

pulled directly from vray help index

Shutter speed - the shutter speed, in inverse seconds, for the still photographic camera. For example, shutter speed of 1/30 s corresponds to a value of 30 for this parameter.

either way, his other settings aren't correct for how I am explaining to setup. I think his suns intensity multiplier is off the default 1.0 and he's got a manual node for sky map. he should be getting an image that is too bright with those settings and if you think his shutter speed should be lower than his iso need to be even lower.

Edited by bzubrick
more info

pulled directly from vray help index

Shutter speed - the shutter speed, in inverse seconds, for the still photographic camera. For example, shutter speed of 1/30 s corresponds to a value of 30 for this parameter.

that is what i was saying. 1/30 s is way slower than 1/300 s, then a value of 300 will give you a darker render than a value of 30.... then to lighten his render , he has to decrease the value.

Mate, this got me on the VrayPhysical Cam too. Between lighting, exposure and the camera settings, you got a task of juggling them till they look right.

If you use a standard Max cam, and it looks good, then just keep lowering the value for the vrayphysicalcam until it looks right. Its as easy (and time consuming) as that.

the higher the shutter speed...the less light will be let in...resulting in a darker image...

I am beginning to feel I am in the wrong for explaining what I am explaining. could you explain how I get these images with my setup. thnx:confused:

I'm no expert here but I just made this little test to show how easy it is when you use these things together the way they're supposed to work...these are all default values...didn't change anything...added a vraysun, a vrayphysical camera and used vray materials...are ya with me so far...turned on GI and used Irr mapping and light cache...made sure that vraysky was in the GI environment override...I didn't change any settings so far....now I went to the color mapping and chose Reinhard and raised the gamma to 1.6...looks pretty good to me and I didn't even do anything really...

I am beginning to feel I am in the wrong for explaining what I am explaining. could you explain how I get these images with my setup. thnx:confused:

sorry you are correct...what ever scene I was experimenting on before was giving me that answer, but after trying it on this default scene lowering the shutter speed does lighten it...the f-number also does the same thing I guess, unless it supposed to do something different...you certainly do have choices...