What are you listening to right now?

CAD

• Replies 987
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got a couple of new CDs: The Secret Machines + Engineers

also streaming a great internet radio station (almost no commercials); they play a pretty wide variety of indie and alt rock that isn't annoying...

http://www.woxy.com

Thanks for that one - looks pretty good. My favorite is http://www.kexp.org although right now they are doing the pledge drive (& yes I donated) which is really annoying, cause it's all talk talk talk..

Quote:

Originally Posted by himom

Just got a couple of new CDs: The Secret Machines + Engineers

also streaming a great internet radio station (almost no commercials); they play a pretty wide variety of indie and alt rock that isn't annoying...

www.woxy.com

Thanks for that one - looks pretty good. My favorite is www.kexp.org although right now they are doing the pledge drive (& yes I donated) which is really annoying, cause it's all talk talk talk..

i will have to check woxy. i listen kexp a lot also, but have never donated. i recently started listening to www.wfmu.org, i used to listen awhile ago, but stopped, now i am back on their kick. i have donated to them in the past. the station is a little wierd, and depending on who is DJ'ing, can be down right weird.

i will have to check woxy.

You're in Columbus -- I think WOXY is Cincinnati based, although they apparently really cater to the internet crowd due to the San Francisco, LA, et al club schedules + promotions.

You're in Columbus -- I think WOXY is Cincinnati based, although they apparently really cater to the internet crowd due to the San Francisco, LA, et al club schedules + promotions.

oh wait, i have listened to this station. it is based in oxford, oh.. i used to date a girl from there, and we wuold listen to it when we visited her parents. oxford is where miami u of ohio is located.

oh wait, i have listened to this station. it is based in oxford, oh.. i used to date a girl from there, and we wuold listen to it when we visited her parents. oxford is where miami u of ohio is located.

nope, i was wrong. woxy is in cincy. i don't know why i thought it was in oxford, maybe they have a branch building there or something. the two cities (if oxford can be called that) are only abut 20-30 miles apart.

i listened to woxy for a couple of hours this early morning. good stuff, i will definetly add it to my rotation. it is a little more mainstream (not that it is mainstream at all) than what kexp is. at least in my opinion.

...i also liked that it updated my old school version of winamp (2.95) with the name of the song and artist playing at the time. with kexp i have to keep a webpage open that is updated with the song artist information that is playing. the only advantage to kexp's version is that it usually has the playlist for the previous hour, so if i miss writing somethign down, i can still get it.

anyway, they are both worth giving a listen.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I just got back from a brilliant show by the Decemberists. They have an incredibly rich melodic sound, including violin, accordion, pedal steel, and mandolin. And their lyrics are both literary and hilarious. Not sure if they translate to the page, but here's a verse from Los Angeles, I'm Yours:

There is a city by the sea

A gentle company

I don’t suppose you want to

And as it tells its sorry tale

In harrowing detail

Its hollowness will haunt you

Its streets and boulevards

Orphans and oligarchs it hears

A plaintive melody

Truncated symphony

An ocean’s garbled vomit on the shore,

Los Angeles, I’m yours

Check them out at http://www.decemberists.com

Jack

I bought a turntable for my wife because she's wanted one for a long time & so I got one for her graduation gift. I wasn't really expecting it to be much more than a novelty & something to play for fun & get a kick out of some old records.

But WOW! The sound is absolutely amazing! I guess I had never heard a good record player before. My only memories of a record player was one that my parents had and it was never in good shape. I think we would put a 'd' battery on one side just to keep it from skipping. And until now I had always appreciated turntables, but never really took them seriously. Pretty much the only time I can hear any fuzz or static is when there is no music, but when the music starts it just sounds so rich and alive.

We listened to a sort of jazz compilation record last night, one of the tracks was from John Coltrane. I think if I had listened to the same thing on cd, it would have lost something special.

Now I feel bad though, because I think I'm enjoying it almost as much as she is! Next year maybe I'll buy her a 42" plasma tv. :p