What are you listening to right now?

CAD

I still have (and use) my turntable as well. Earlier this week I dustwiped Fleetwood Mac (live) and had a nice musical trip. It's funny, after years of not listening to it, I remember every single scratch. By the way, the record still 'hangs' halfway Riannon :D. Thank God Stevie Nicks' raspy voice was still fantastic.

More goldies past through this month, from Ozzy to the Smiths, The-the and the Clash and a compilation of 80's modern jazz (not too long please;-)

Dennis

• Replies 987
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"They called it Tigermilk!"

Currently listening to OK Computer. I prefer The Bends but Paranoid Android almost knocks me out every time.

I prefered the Bends...until OK Computer soaked in. But I put the last half, especially Lucky, as the fave (then there's Exit Music...and the whole damned album), perhaps of all time. Not to start a 'top 10 albums' thing going, but this one is one.

Can normal people appreciate stuff like this, or do you have to be as weird as the band?

Funny thing is, if you see Radiohead on TV or read interviews, they are pretty ordinary. They laugh at themselves!

Kid A must have just been a big joke.(I hope)

Too much talent can strangle you.

• 2 weeks later...
Kid A must have just been a big joke.(I hope)

Kid A is the album I like the most together with Amnesiac, and no, its not a joke, its a pretty good album, but you have to get into it. If you can't get into it, then it will seem as just plain wierd.

For example, I listen to Matmos, and everybody tells me I'm crazy for actually listening to that kind of music (in fact most of my friends question if it is music), but its all about getting into the music.

Anyway, the song I'm listening to right now is: Björk - Post - Hyperballad.

There are songs on both Kid A and Amnesiac that I love but I don't rate any album that I 'have to get into'. I rushed out to buy them and I felt really disappointed both times.

Neither are comfortable to listen to all the way through for me and The Bends and OK Computer are (I can even cope with 'non-song' Fitter, Happier).

The fans want more of what they like and thats why Kid A and Amnesiac didn't sell at all well.

If a band wants to experiment that's fine but maybe they should do it in private.

The fans want more of what they like and thats why Kid A and Amnesiac didn't sell at all well.

It would be nice to know why you suppose Kid A or Amnesiac didn't sell well at all, Kid A selled a lot of copies, not as much as OK Computer, but given how complicated the music is for most people, it selled extremely well.

If a band wants to experiment that's fine but maybe they should do it in private.

That's supposing two things, first that you care only about sells (which is fine I suppose, many artists do that), and also if you will let your current fans decide what you are supposed to do with your music (which is fine too). I think Radiohead decided to make the music they felt they should make at the time without a care about sells or what the fans expected, they created 2 great records that felt right for them. I think that created another "camp" of fans just is the same way that The Bends did when it came out. I think the camps right now are: the very few people that still likes Pablo Honey, the The Bends/OK Computer camp, and the Kid A/Amnesiac camp.

i find Amnesiac an out-takes album almost of things that didnt make it onto Kid A. Both superb albums though. (not a patch on OK 'puter ;) )

Both were recorded at the same time, but it isn't like the Amnesiac songs were just the songs that weren't good enough for Kid A, the band said that they always thought of them as two different albums even if they recorded everything together, that's why Kid A has a general tone, and Amnesiac has another.

I respect what you are saying Pablo (so tempted to call you Honey there but I hardly know you) but everyone who enjoyed OK Computer was really excited about getting more of the same or a progression and what we got instead (in my opinion) was a half-arsed, backwards step.

My reference to poor sales was just pointing to the fact that a LOT of fans and critics were disappointed (some even disgusted) and I don't think any artist, whether they are commercially minded or not, should be complacent about disappointing existing fans.

OK a new camp of fans appeared but show me a poll of "Greatest albums of all time" that doesn't include The Bends and OK Computer and one which does include the other two.

They were rightly regarded by many as the best group in the world and then all of a sudden....they weren't!

Dug out 'Bandwagonesque' by Teenage Fanclub.

I love that album.

Quite excited about getting their new one.

Teenage Fanclub is one of my all-time faves. Of course there's '13' but everyone falls down once in a while. Grand Prix is great but a little too precious, Songs From Northern England is probably their best. Howdy's good, too.

New one?

sufer rosa & come on pilgrim?

'Trompe le monde' and 'surfer rosa' so far. Close!

New one?

"Man-made" comes out today(in the UK)

Northern England? :) Common mistake I suppose.

• 2 weeks later...