Welcome to our Upgraded forums!

Jeff Mottle

• Administrators

As you may have noticed we have converted our forums to vBulletin from UBB. If you notice any problems or have any questions, please post them here.

Some things that you may have to fix as a result of the import:

1. You may have to re-create your signature

2. If your avatar is too big, please upload a new version in yur profile. (You may be asked by one of the moderators to do so)

This version of the forum software is a Release Candidate and 'may' still have the odd bug, although it is very close to going gold, so I suspect any problems you run into will be as a result of my not properly configuring the site. There are a TON of options for this new forum and I will be slowly tweaking things over the next few days.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jeff...real slick, this new board. I really really like the thread subscription capabilites (not just through email anymore - it lists them for you in your user CP). One thing...one of my private messages I know was from Ernest says it was from another user - guess the transition screwed some things up - anyone else have PM's changed? Other than that - congrats on the new board. I frequent another web forum that uses this exact same engine - it's great.

• Administrators

Thanks for the feedback guys.

By default the avatars come in that position, so in order to move them I will have to edit the templates a bit. This is no easy feat so it may take me some time, but if everyone is of this consensus, I'll look at doing that. The one nice thing about avatars on the top is that is leaves more room for images width wise.

Also, long gone is the forum image upload problems. This forum has built in image uploding abilities.

PMs....hmmm...yeah that might have gotten garbled, but I figured most people don't keep them, so it was not a priority when they developed the coverter. PM are normally only used for quick contacts, not as a long term storage thing.

The thread rating thing can be turned off, so I will see how it works out on. If it is abused or provides no useful feedback then I will disable it.

Yes searching is MUCH MUCH MUCH better and is one of the main reasons I decided to ditch UBB. Searching is now almost instantaneous.

Keep the feedback coming.

Jeff,

I really like the subscription feature. Thanks a lot for that one. Makes it easy to keep updated on a thread when I'm gone for a couple days. I do agree with everyone on the avatars though.

Great site though!!!!

Looks like I missed the avatars on top (thats what happens when you'r on the other side of the ball and when Jeff doesnt sleep...) but I like it on the left better anyway.

For some reason I couldnt use the quick reply though...

One more thing, Jeff, the link to the new forum isnt "cgarchitect.com/forum" like you wrote on the old page. Its cgarchitect.com/vb you might want to change that.

Congrats.

• Administrators

Actually it's both. I use www.cgarchitect.com/forum as a re-direct to whereever the real forum exists. That way when I do things like switch forum software, all I have to do it change the re-direct instead of 10 different pages where the forum is linked. ;)

To get quick reply to work, you have to click the quick reply button located at the bottom right of any message.

Jeff

FYI: when I click someones name and follow the link to his homepage - it doesnt open in a new page. It opens in the same page, replacing the forum page.

EDIT:

When I follow the link to the profile it does open a separate window, but when I click the avatar it opens the profile in the same window.

very interwesting.

couple points -

the VIEWS option for the posts doesnt seem to work, and, the total number of posts per person has decreesed.

also, looking at my private messages, the sender's name seems to have changed! lol

btw, whats going on with the old forums?

• Administrators

Yes I have notticed that views are not updating. I'm looking into that.

As for the images, when the forum was converted there was only two options. Either convert all JPG images to inlne images or all as links. I opted for links becuase I know there are quite a few images on the site that are way too big to display nicely in the forum. All new images will be as attachments or as inline images so it's just old ones that will stay as links.

I'l look into the profile links not launhcig in a new window. Will have to hack a template to do that.

• Administrators

also, what happened to the new moderator's admin interface?

POke around a bit and see how you can see user profiles and such. Let me know what you see. If there is no way to edit the stuff you used to be able to, I will look at upping the permissons.