use HDRI + DOME LIGHT in room without windows?

rajs

Hi, I would like to make an 'art gallery' space with no windows for interior renderings.

Rather than using vray lights to simulate a real art galleries artificial lighting set up, I would prefer to use my usual method of HDRI + VRAY DOME LIGHT because I prefer the light quality.

Obviously using an hdri+domelight with a room without windows makes the interior pitch black, so can anyone suggest a way to use the HDRI to light an interior without windows?

I am using 3DS Max 2010

Many thanks

Raj

Edited by rajs

Raj, you could use the Dome Light and exclude your "art gallery" ceiling, or ceiling and walls, from Shadow Casting. This should let the light into the room using the dome and HDRI. I think you will have to place some interior lights to create the shadows you want though.

Thats a square peg in a round hole.

You are deciding the method of solution to a question before asking the question. An interior space with no external light sources should be lit with an approximation of the artificial light sources within the space. The only time you would use a HDRI or any other Global Illumination source in isolation would be if you were lighting an object with an interior light capture, for a studio shot of a product or sculpture for example. This HDRI is still approximating artificial light sources and chances are the 'walls' would not exist in the shot. If you are rendering an interior space and just excluding the walls from shadow casting, Im going to predict it will look rubbish.

Dont use HDRI, dont use a domelight. Create lights where there would be light sources, use GI and reference the many Vray lighting setups here on these boards.

Art gallery spaces are discreetly and expertly lit to minimize attention from the space itself and subtly promote the art within.

Edited by Tommy L

Maybe try clipping the walls that are behind the camera so that light from the dome/HDRI can flood into the space. This way you will not see the visible opening for the light in the scene, though it will effect reflections. You might be able to do this with camera clipping planes.

Otherwise, I would look into a AO pass multiplied on top of a diffuse pass. It isn't what you are looking for, but what you are actually trying to do is a bit odd in the first place.

Edited by Crazy Homeless Guy

Chaps, I don't agree with my own lighting solution.. I get that it's a totally faked approach and not particularly smart, but as an experiment I'm giving it a go. Thanks Tommy & Travis for advice.

So to move this forward, from my limited experience, lighting with Vray sun and/or HDRI+Domelight produces excellent results, so I am nervous about abandoning them and just using vray lights to light a room with no windows (e.g art gallery space).

Tommy (or anyone else who cares to answer) are you suggesting I should solely use VrayIES lights with appropriate photometric data or possibly standard vray lights (plane, sphere etc)?

Thanks

Raj