using too many furnitures gets too complex

clubber2k

Hi

I'm still a bit new to 3d modeling in max but am learning allot for online tutorials.

I'm having problems when I need to add allot blocks (furniture and appliances) to my scenes. after a certain amount the model becomes too complex to work with. I know about vraycache and xreferncing but these make it hard to manipulate and work. when I was working on sketchup I could add endless amount of blocks with out any problem... max can't be less efficient the sketchup ;)

I was wondering what is the best & efficient way to use allot of furniture in an interior scene (for example a big restaurant) with out crashing my pc? I tried to find a tutorial on this but found only tutorials on creating furniture, and not on using them.

I see many renders with 100 or more different complex objects, how is this done? If there is a "recommended" way on doing this I would appreciate knowing.

Thanks in advance! ::)

Edited by clubber2k

vray proxy if having trouble with geometry / poly count / ram (which is sounds like your problem)

keep object counts to a minimum (i.e attach all chairs together into one object)

smash your objects down to edit meshes

don't use groups - and never use nested groups

dont show materials in viewport

delete all splines / linework from CAD etc.

display as box

xref in complex stuff like cutlery and glasses and plants

doing this will keep your viewport fast and your renders as quick as they can be geometry wise.

max deals really well with huge poly counts but really dies in the ass with loads of objects and groups.

keep object counts to a minimum (i.e attach all chairs together into one object)

smash your objects down to edit meshes

don't use groups - and never use nested groups

dont show materials in viewport

delete all splines / linework from CAD etc.

display as box

xref in complex stuff like cutlery and glasses and plants

max deals really well with huge poly counts but really dies in the ass with loads of objects and groups.

This feels awkward and unintuitive... isn't there a simple workflow for dealing with multiple objects, say I have 30 charis 10 tables all in different alignment (Don't want them looking the same - so I can't group them) and a verity of ornaments. going through vrayproxy for every chair/ornaments takes tooo long...

I wish there was a simple workflow...:confused:

isn't there a simple option or plugin to just drag and drop different unrelated objects with out worrying about all this?

hmm these are the things we do at work to streamline scenes and make them simple and workable - it may not suit you but it is working to the strengths of 3dmax - rather than using it like you would say CAD/Revit.

when making proxies i wouldn't make a proxy of the entire table/settings/chairs rather make proxies of each element to allow you to make different arrangements.

work in separate files when doing small details so you can work quickly.