Sketchup / Vray - Light+Shadow rendering problem

Hi,

I'm somewhat of a vray rendering noob. I've modelled a scene which I'm now trying to render, but I'm not getting anything near the results I'd expected. I've tried googling the issue but can find no obvious solution and outcomes have not differed greatly despite my tinkering with the settings.

Basically I'm trying to render a scene which is set on the top of my builing; I've created a large number of objects on top of a frame I've designed to simulate the light and shadow effect of light passing though foliage - the unrendered scene shows the light/shadow that I want (image 1) but when I render I get a scene with apparently no light, or at the very least no light/shadow detail (image 2).

The render I have shown in image 2 is using default settings.

Could someone advise please?

did you add a light source? In this case VraySun or did you set the daylight settings?

Also, how did you create the transparant material on the roof? Check page 42 of this one: http://spot3d.com/vray/help/sketchup/100/V-RayforSketchUpManual_English.pdf

Make sure you check "Affect shadows".

(also, you can just model that roof as one surface, and make the small shapes with the vray material)

Hey,

Thanks for the help. I resolved the problem in the end; it was a matter of setting sunlight as the 'sun' in settings > environment > GI environment texture.

I'll def have a look at the link you posted.

Thanks again,

Will