What is the best software modeling ?

KhalidAljuhani

Hello everyone , :o

as we knew , in general Modeling subdivided into...

- Generic Modeling (Solid , Surface) : which deal with the model as shapes

3dsMax , Maya , Sketchup , ...

- Parametric Modeling (): which deal with the model as real elements (walls , roof ,..)

As Revit , Archicad , Autocad Architecture , ....

So there are alot of softwares we have to learn but what do u recommend the programs that every architect must to learn ? :rolleyes:

Well 3ds max is (as far as I know) the easier to use & one of the most featured but I guess it all depends on want you want to create and achieve (e. g. It's really hard to model a car on 3ds max so I'd rather use maya or Rhino) But most architect should learn it to get the greatest visualizations of their models because setting up an scene is much simpler than it is on autocad or Rhino and ther are literally dozens o plug-ins and renderers compatible with it. Rhino is really powerful with NURBS surfaces but I would never use it for a hard edged building which could be more accuratedly (and easily) done in AutoCAD or ArchiCAd

IMO it's not about the software it about the price you can afford Khali, i would download some demo and find which one you like. i went with 3ds max because of the interface i tried maya and i couldn't stand it. Maya took too long. i first started off with poser then vue now i mainly use 3ds max. You really cannot ask whitch ones the best, because some maya people knock max some max uses knock maya. at the end of the day it's really down to you.

Sketchup is another good option. Programs like Max, Maya, Revit and so on really need to be used a lot and consistently for the methods to sink in (I think anyway). Sketchup has the advantage of having relatively few tools that you need to memorise. This means you could possibly come back to the program after months of not using it, and still be fairly productive. And you can learn on a free version - so the price is right :)

There is indeed a lot to like about Sketchup as an architectural modeling software. The relatively low cost practically guarantees it to be a universally used 3d modeling software. Personally I use 3ds Max as my primary modeling package, and have done so for many years. I love Max's powerful polygonal modeling toolset. But, interestingly enough, even with all my knowledge of 3ds Max modeling, Sketchup can be quicker for me with simple straight-line architectural modeling (and most architectural modeling is).

Depending on your career goals, parametric modeling might also be an important consideration. In my local market Revit has come to dominate. So, I've been learning it and it will be interesting to learn how it might change my modeling practices in the future.