Animating lights in vray

robbybobson

Hi all,

I am currently putting together a walkthrough for an auditorium using Vray and 3ds max 2010.

I normally render out my light cache with flythrough then irrad map for every 5th frame and then load them up and render out the final frames.

I usually do not have any animated objects apart from the camera movement itself.

However on this occasion I have animated the lights (vray light plane, vrayies and a couple of standard spots) to be off when you enter the room and to turn up over the first 100 frames or so. So I have keyed the lights and the vraylight materials to do this and that works fine.

The light cache does not work correctly when I render it out though. It leaves dark patches here and there.

I don't have any moving objects, just textures and lights that change intensity.

What is the correct method of calculating the light cache and irrad map.

Any help would be appreciated.

Paul

Right I have sorted it out now so no need for any advice. If anyone has a similar problem then all i did was break it down into sections and render each light cache and irrad map separately. I had the lights fading up before but I did not have time to do the brute force calcs for this so I just had them turn on instantly and rendered the before and after sections then pieced them together later.