Need some advice

robbrown1

Good morning / afternoon and evening to you all.

I would just like to say congratulations on all the work I have seen in the gallery in my short time on the site and I am envious of everyone's skills in the field.

I recently graduated from a motion graphics and animative design course at Northumbria uni in newcastle, UK and I'm looking to get hired in a arch viz role but thanks to a power surge and windows my external HDD was wiped so I lost all my work from the last 3 yrs of my course.

My Questions are thus:

1. When applying for arch viz jobs are mental ray renders still ok to use? as I know a lot of places would like or require Vay renders or knowledge. However my 4GB Ram and 2 GHZ processor laptop cant run VRay and I cant afford to get another one at this time.

2. I was talking to a gentleman from mustard recruitment on the phone a while back and he told me 1 exterior render and 2 interiors would aid my application to a firm in newcastle which has its own arch viz dept. and i was wondering what peoples thoughts would be on whats best to model / render for this application.

3. Because I was on an animation course I needed to use Maya and switching back to max is prooving troublesome and slower to pick it up than I thought would this be a massive issue or something i need to work on to utilize max better.

Thank you for your time and hope you are having a great day.

Regards

Rob Brown

Edited by robbrown1

Wow that's too bad, I'd be freaking out if all my work was gone!

Vray is the most widely used render engine but it's really up to the studio as to what they will require you to use, it wouldn't hurt for you to become familiar with it though. You will have to have some examples of your work to show because that's really the only way for a potential employer to know if you have the skills they are looking for. Since you're looking for Arch Viz work doing some interior and exterior renderings could only help you get the job so I'd do it. In most cases those firms doing Arch Viz are going to be using 3D Studio, Maya is really not suited well for doing this type of work although it can be done. It's all up to the firm you're going to be working at as to what software they use so I'd just concentrate on creating some nice renderings and let them decide if your software knowledge is good enough.

Thanks for the advice Devin, I was freaking out a little but I was more focused on trying to get some more decent work produced. I worked for a charity a while ago and got some of the old test files resent over so I might re render and update some of those in max and see what I can produce.