Mental Ray - Matte/Shadow - Background visable "through" materials and other problems

leopoldkristjansson

Hi!

I'm new here, so hopefully I'm not asking something for the 100th time (but I did try to search first).

Story:

* I did my modelling in Rhino and I imported everything (layer by layer) into 3ds max 2012. Using "ACIS" (.Sat) set to "Inventor".

* I imported everything, without big problems. I set up a Matte/Shadow layer for the ground plane (which is a circle plane imported from rhino) and did some camera matching using this great tutorial (

).

* I have my 3d model in place, camera ready, I'm using "special purpose environment maps" for materials where I can find that tab in the material editor. The mapping is set to "Environment" and "Spherical environment". I want to render using Mental Ray.

Problems:

* My house is very "see-through" - it basically takes the image I want to place in the background and reflects it from the other side.

* My windows often (but not always) look like there is nothing behind them but the photo. But actually I modeled the whole house including the back walls with windows on the other side.

Could I have some geometry problem? Should I convert my geometry somehow? Would be really grateful for some tips!

Haus12-tif.jpg

Haus24-tif.jpg

It looks like you've got highly reflective materials and you're seeing the reflection of the environment map in the environment slot.

Not sure what surface type you are going for, but have a play about with the reflectivity properties up in the 'main material parameters' rollout. I'd suggest starting off with Arch & Design presets (glass etc), and tweaking them from there.

Good luck