Make environment not affect scene light

sledgehammerhard

Hi y'all,

I am experimenting with v-ray for 3ds max. I am doing this online course at lynda wich is really great I do however get a problem that I don't know how to fix.

When I change my environment Background color from black to white in 'environment and effects' it effects the whole light in the scene. Is there a way to untick that? I just simply want it as a background and nothing to do with the illumination of my scen.

Thanks in advance!

Best regards yours scincerely SLEDGEHAMMER!!!

Welcome.

I do believe their is a way!

Change your background colour as you want to to white. Then in VRay, on the V_Ray tab in the Environment rollout turn on the GI Environment (skylight) override and make it black. Turning this on, overrides the environment colour so you can have whatever colour you want in the background but VRay uses this override to cast light in the scene.

If you have any problems just let us know!

If you tick on the GI override under Environment Overrides in the Vray Render settings, then the GI will be read from there and the background color will not matter to your lighting. The caveat here is that the color in the GI override will, but this is usually a correct color for day scenes (maybe a bit intense, but correct.)

Why would you change your background from black anyways? You should always render black for compositing.