I want to buy a new monitor

So i need a new monitor. I'm a student, and i have $270 / 200€.

I thought I'll buy

http://www.dell.com/bg/business/p/dell-s2440l/pd ...this, or

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/monitors/1287364/benq-ew2430/specifications ...this one.

Their price are almost the same. What do you think about these? Do you know a better monitor for $270 or below?

I need it mostly for 3ds max and photoshop with good color representation (i dont need it for games).

Thank you.

I don't love either of those options. Usually I would go with a good IPS panel like a Dell U series or an Asus PA series but on a budget something like an S series would do if you calibrate it using a calibration device like an i1 or Spyder. The problem with an uncalibrated display is that you don't know how close the onscreen representation is to what's really in the image file (and therefore how it will print, assuming a decent printer with proper color profiles corresponding to the paper used). For example, if the monitor has weak greens, what looks correct on the monitor will print with a green color cast. I'd recommend calibration for any display, but an inexpensive one is more likely to be way off and get you in trouble.

You don't really need one calibrator for each computer. If you know somebody who has one you can borrow it (and borrow it a second time a few months later because monitor color will drift a bit) or you can get a few people together to share the cost.

The 24" / 1200p IPS panels are a bit above your price point (or should be, I don't know how pricing works in your part of the world), but you can get decent 1080p IPS 23" displays that should be within budget:

Take a look at the Dell U2312HM or the ASUS PB238Q.

Also, the colorimeter team-buy is not a bad idea at all. Have seen it @ work with photography forums.

Try convincing a few colleagues / school mates to split the cost, or even better, pitch it to your department for buying a decent device and allowing students to borrow it once or twice a year for a day tops - or do it on-site with laptops.

Edited by dtolios

Thank you all for your replies.

Today I found some monitors that fit in my budget, are IPS (and look good).

I was looking at 27" monitors, but those are out of my price range.

what do you think about these?

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd&sku=320-9794&~ck=XYRelated&~lt=popup&~tab=specstab

http://us.aoc.com/monitor_displays/i2367fh

http://www.lg.com/hk_en/monitors/lg-IPS237L

Edited by krisztiangulyas

Sreen size is the most important. The bigger the screen the better you can see stuff. I have a 27" 1080p and it is really fine for photoshop and 3dsmax. Don't be fooled and be confused that you need the best and the most expensive monitor for your software. Because that is simply not true. Trust me, you won't be counting pixels.

In your case i would advise you to get a 27" 1920x1080p monitor and you are good to go. Look on the internet for reviews to help with your choice. Look also for extra options like vesa wall mount if you want to hang your monitor on the wall. I prefer two monitors which are placed direct under each other (surface of the monitors facing towards my eyes) in stead of next to each other. This way you don't have to turn your head from left to right.

I dont want to start new theme so I will ask here

I want new monitor, this old one Flatron L1910S is time to change. I will use it for photoshop 3ds max, and after effects.

What to look at. Time response black white 2ms or 5ms, hz form 60-120, dimension, pixels, contrast ratio? I dont want to waste my money I dont need high end monitor, what about other stuff? Oled, lcd, led ??? What do you think about this one ? http://www.amazon.de/AOC-E2357FM-LED-Monitor-Reaktionszeit-silber-schwarz/dp/B008UHIYXK

P.S. Forget about OLED I can buy render farm for that money...

[url=http://www.amazon.de/AOC-E2357FM-LED-Monitor-Reaktionszeit-silber-schwarz/dp/B008UHIYXK][/url]

I picked up a Dell u2412 for around $280 on Amazon in July, coming from a fwp2005 and a 2007, the 2412 was a nice upgrade. The u2413 would be my top choice if I could do it again but I do really recommend the u2412 overall for architecture related work.

I dont understand why people go for brand, HP and DELL are overpriced, I am just looking this u2412 DELL compared to AOC E2357FM , it is two times better on specifications (except number of pixels) and still DELL is duble price of AOC ?

The AOC monitor is a TN panel. The Dell is an IPS. IPS panels cost more, but they're better at color gamut and accuracy so they're better for graphics work. TN panels can have high contrast and fast refresh so they're fine for games.

Dell u2412m: 16:10 (1200p) 24" LG IPS panel, 178 deg viewing angles, better contrast + color rendition @ 82% sRGB (prob 8bit lut on 6 bit panel driver?), 300 cd/m2, build quality, rotating / height adjustable base, Display port on top of DVI + HDMI, USB hub.

AOC: run of the mill 23" 1080p TN monitor @ 250 cd/m2.

* Is AOC horrible and impossible to do professional grade work on? No, unless you are into "color" that much as a professional photographer or printer and even then, if you are willing to spend double the E2357FM's price on a colorimeter etc you can calibrate it to pretty accurate results. Out of the box? Well, lets say its fine for general modelling / rendering use.

* Is the u2412m "2 times better" ? No. Performance and quality don't increase linearly with price increase. The u2412m is not 2x better, and the 2413 that adds 14bit LUT / S-IPS panel for 100% sRGB/99+ % AdobeRGB is not "4x better", just like a Cayman S is nowhere near 3 times better than your top of the line Corolla.

Yet (either car or monitor) it is clearly better for some, that won't compromise for "less", even if they have to pay many times over for those "insignificant" for most improvements.

The vast majority of Porsche owners don't use their car for something a Corolla couldn't do, and probably many of the “got to have IPS” guys could work just fine around the limitations of a TN...but boy, it is easy to get hooked on the “better” things.

how does dell have better contrast ? Dell 1:2,000,000:1 (dynamic)

AOC E2357FM Contrast Ratio (typical) 20000000:1 (DCR) ?

and what does this mean Pixel Frequency 144MHz is that refresh rate of monitor if is than it is 2,5 times bigger than Dell?

So Dimitris you are telling me AOC is good ? If it is like that I will buy it :D

IPS has by default better color rendition and contrast. There is a difference between absolute contrast between "total black" / "total white" areas, and percieved color contrast in images etc. You can have a very high "absolute" contrast (i.e. excesive backlighting intensity) and horrible, washed out colors with very low contrast between them.

There are no "hard rules" in many of the figures companies give around contrast figures, response time etc. Expect many of the figures you read (on most companies) to have some "open interpretation" in what's what.

There are 60/120/144 Hz monitors = how fast the whole image gets refreshed each second. All IPS panels are rated @ 60Hz, some of them can be manually overclocked to more. TN panels are available in 60/120/144Hz etc. This AOC should be 60, just like the 2412m.

120Hz doesn't make them "better" in anything really.

It is true that for fast paced games on fast cards, where fps is higher than the refresh rate, you might see tearing in the image, as the monitor struggles to catch up with the fps it cannot.The easy fix is to just turn on Vsync (either globally through the GPU's drivers, or through the game / movie player etc). Many gamers would "swear" that without 120Hz or better gaming sucks etc (just like many swear that their GPU makes VRay CPU run faster). There is preference, there is placebo effect, there is epeen, and there is need. Room in the world for everynone's vice.

At any rate, 144MHz = I don't know what's that. Definitely not refresh rate

As for the AOC, I don't know if it is good.

Good = implies better than a baseline, which I cannot establish.

I know that it won't be that bad. All modern LCD monitors are "passable". But that's that, and so will be tenths of other 23" TN 1080p panels in similar prices by Acer, Dell etc that float in the $120-150.

No comparison with IPS in the $300, in a ways it is comparing apples and oranges, much like comparing an Audi A4 with a the cheapest 4-door in the market. Yes, both have 4 doors and 4 tires...but one is 2-3x as expensive and has a list of "differences". Doesn't make the cheap car "bad" or "good"...just different league.

* Is the u2412m "2 times better" ? No. Performance and quality don't increase linearly with price increase. The u2412m is not 2x better, and the 2413 that adds 14bit LUT / S-IPS panel for 100% sRGB/99+ % AdobeRGB is not "4x better", just like a Cayman S is nowhere near 3 times better than your top of the line Corolla.

I would tend to disagree. A monitor that is going to have a direct influence on my printout quality is well worth the money. A good IPS is worth twice what a TN monitor is and a 99% Adobe RGB monitor is worth twice that if you do graphics professionally.

how does dell have better contrast ? Dell 1:2,000,000:1 (dynamic)

AOC E2357FM Contrast Ratio (typical) 20000000:1 (DCR) ?

and what does this mean Pixel Frequency 144MHz is that refresh rate of monitor if is than it is 2,5 times bigger than Dell?

So Dimitris you are telling me AOC is good ? If it is like that I will buy it

Dynamic contrast is a completely meaningless number. It refers the the ratio between a screen showing white and the same screen with the light source turned off. That is not a useful thing to measure.

I would tend to disagree. A monitor that is going to have a direct influence on my printout quality is well worth the money. A good IPS is worth twice what a TN monitor is and a 99% Adobe RGB monitor is worth twice that if you do graphics professionally.

Explaining myself: I agree completely. Yes, some things are "priceless" in the correct context.

How much each tier of monitors costs has been tried for a long time by Dell and its competitors. If it didn't worth it for those that actually care, they would go out of business.

That's why I've brought the car equivalent (in my mind): all cars can take you from point A to point B. Judging on solely how many doors and how many wheels a car has, and whether it can safely move you from A to B, there is no "winner"...there is no value in talking about luxury, ride quality, speed above legal limits etc. A Rolls Royce is not 100s times the car a used Corolla is, to cost that many times more.

So, if you just need a 1080p monitor, just to get you from A to B, it is hard to sell someone on a 99% Adobe RGB S-IPS.

And if he was one of those that would care about what a 2412M or even further a 2413 offers, he wouldn't ask about "why not" a $1xx AOC TN.

Remember, that 1000s of professionals are using MBPs that have probably worse panels than this 23" TN, yet "nothing is wrong with it", "Apple has unparallel colors" etc. If you try to nit-pick on such arguements, you just get to arguements about personal preference.

Fox hound: just get something that doesn't seem overpriced to you. If you can find a cheap IPS panel with LED Backlit.

Searching for sub $200 IPS screens 23-24" (no particular order):

*Acer H236HLbid

*ASUS VS239H-P

*AOC i2367Fh / AOC i2369V

*Dell U2312HM