V-Ray message warning while rendering

philipdutoit

Hi all,

So I've come across this warning while I'm rendering bricks for an interior scene. The material has a bump map and a UV map on it. The bump value is also on default(30).

The warning says:

"warning: Texture "Map #123" returned an invalid bump normal..."

I've googled this quite a few times and haven't reached a solution on it yet. Can anyone help me please? Seeing as this really influences my rendering times.

Any help will be appreciated.

Hi Philip

What kind of bump map is it? Just a bitmap, or you have a max normal map in there?

Is your bump's texture called Map #123"?

Also what kind of UV are you using? Just box, or realworld scale?

If you're using a normal map for the bump, you should stick it in a "VRayNormalMap" instead of the standard max "normal" map.

Also, if you don't have an actual correctly formatted normal map but just a jpg, you should stick that into a "VRayColor2Bump" inside "VRayNormalMap" (in which case you might as well just stick the jpg directly in the bump.

Depending on how close you get to the wall, a VRayDisplacement modifier may work much nicer

Thanks for your quick reply Morne!

It's just a normal black & white bitmap. No the #123 was just to help explain. I'm using a box with no realworld scale at the moment.

So I tried your method of just sticking the jpg to the "VrayColor2Bump" and then to the vray material's bump slot and it seems to work!

Thank you very much!