Animation - Texture Bake or Pre-Calc GI

Smile of Fury

For an animation where only the camera moves, is it more common to pre-calc the GI or to bake the lighting and then render with all the lights/GI turned off?

Are these the two most common methods? And...could anyone explain to me (or direct me to some reading) why you would choose one option over the other?

Thanks in advance.

For an animation where only the camera moves, is it more common to pre-calc the GI or to bake the lighting and then render with all the lights/GI turned off?

Are these the two most common methods? And...could anyone explain to me (or direct me to some reading) why you would choose one option over the other?

Thanks in advance.

I've done a fair few animations.. and i have never ever baked the lighting/textures in.. and i dont know anyone else who has either..

Always use precalc of GI

Baking the lighting was a great technique back when Lightscape was around. Animations rendered with diffuse GI in seconds using processors equivalent to an iPhone by today's standards and it was a very simple matter to comp in the shiny bits. Now, it's a bit of a broken pipeline as the programmers tend to just throw CPU calcs at a problem instead of being more efficient but if you have a simple space, it's worth exploring.