Using Point-cloud-derived Vray Proxies with MultiScatter - Possible?

Kirsten Zirngibl

I have many point cloud objects I'm trying to scatter in 3DS Max 2017 and render via V-Ray. (According to iCube's site, they support all .vrmesh objects for scattering.)

I used V-Ray's "OBJ GEO PLY to .vrmesh Converter" utility to convert a .ply point cloud into a .vrmesh. It renders great in V-ray.

However, when trying MultiScatter or MultiPainter and using that .vrmesh as a scatter/paint object, nothing shows up in the viewport. When trying to render, Max crashes.

Any way I can get this working? And if it's impossible, is there an alternative scattering package that supports point-cloud based .vrmesh objects? Thanks.

Edited by kirstenzirngibl

Just to follow up, I beat at this some more with trial and error and managed to get this working (somewhat). Hopefully it'll be helpful to someone with the same issue.

For MultiScatter:

The .vrmesh Display Mode must be set to "point" for Multiscatter to work. However, no previews are shown in the viewport, the scattered objects are effectively invisible there and yet render fine.

For MultiPainter:

The .vrmesh Display Mode must be set to "bounding box" for Multiscatter to work.

Now for the next problem... for both modes, the scatter instance renders black. The only way to get vertex-color-in-the-diffuse-slot-VrayMtl rendering properly is to use the Multiscatter Utility (in the utilities panel) to "generate objects from selected scatters."

This is not a good solution though, since I would want to go in and edit my scatters and not have to "bake" them out all the time. Would really hinder my workflow.

Any thoughts on that one?