Problem with vray glass material

domenprevejsek

Hi everyone,

I am working on a project with cylindrical shaped window system and the vray glass material is making it look like a mirror on the sides. Its a 2 panel window. I would love to have those reflections, but I want them to be see-trough.

I attached 2 examples.

One has the refratcion IOR set to 1.51, and it makes the windows look like portals, with no light passing trough.

Second one has refraction IOR set to 1.01 and it makes a better result, but doesnt make reflections on the side.

Glass IOR should be 1.51, but it just doesn´t seem to work right. Is there another way or a setting I missed to control those side reflections to make them see-trough except on the very edges?

Please help :)

1.jpg

3.jpg

2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

First, be sure all polygons normals are pointing in the same direction.

By default, V Ray links the Index of reflection with the index of refraction. you can uncheck the box with the 'L' after Fresnel IOR on Reflections, this will unlock this system.

Then you can keep your reflections to 1.51 and set your Refraction to a smaller value.

How did you build the glasses? It seems to me that the problem consists of a cylindrical glass with only ONE SIDE. Then VRay believes that you are modeling a kind of aquarium. I mean that, from the glass plane to the bottom of the scene, VRay thinks that “everything is glass” (like a aquarium full of water).

The windows must be constructed as double-sided objects. I use to give to all my glasses a thickness of 6mm.