I want to learn a software to make walkthroughs of my projects, I currently use 3DS MAX but it takes way too long to make a video. Some friend told me Lumion is the best for this purpose and that it works great with 3DS MAX. So would you recommend Lumion? Is it really as fast a everyone says? Are the results good? If not what should I use and learn. Thanks!

What kind of walkthroughs? Video or interactive? Lumion can do both but there are better quality / considerably more complex options for interactive walkthroughs.

Lumion is very good and very fast, if you are okay with the videogame-ish visual quality. The hyper-light feature new to version 5 helps with stills, but still cannot touch VRay/Corona/MentalRay etc as regards visual quality.

The Lumion forums have a good collection of various work done with it so you should be able to judge for yourself if it could fit your needs:

http://forum.lumion3d.com/gallery/

I think there are 2 significant strengths that Lumion has over the competition.

#1 - The pro version comes with a huge and diverse ready-to-use content library. Easy to create the animations you want without much technical effort.

#2 - It handles models from all of the most common 3d modeling packages like a champ. If the model comes from somebody that refuses to use anything but a single default material then you will have to bring it into your own DCC package first to do some unique material assignments as necessary, but apart from that it is exceptional at handling imports and reloads consistently well.

I use it for about 50% of my 3d projects, usually when I am on a very tight schedule, otherwise I am using Corona.

We are using Lumion. It is very good and easy to use. The import is very stable. The quality is ok.

I just don't like their pricing scheme. Each year you get a new version for around 1k $, you could call it a subscription.

But even a 10 year old can use after a few hours of practice.

I have been using it for the last few months.

Pros

- Learn quickly and produce animations and stills in a fraction of the time of other render engines

- Pro version comes packed with plants, people, cars, etc. (this has financial value as you would have to buy these things from a vendor if you were just starting out with another engine)

- Imports nicely and retains material settings when you reload. (I use SketchUp and relink my model 20-30 times with no issues)

- With a good graphics card, renders at 4K res in 90 seconds

- Straightforward and simple toolset

- Lots of artistic filters and post processing tools built in

Cons

- GI is not as realistic as other engines (trade is speed)

- Hyperlight currently only limited to stills and lower resolutions

- Need a decent gaming graphics card to get fast render times and performance. If you are using Quadro cards that work well with CAD and MAX, then you might experience issues

• 3 weeks later...
What kind of walkthroughs? Video or interactive? Lumion can do both but there are better quality / considerably more complex options for interactive walkthroughs.

Lumion is very good and very fast, if you are okay with the videogame-ish visual quality. The hyper-light feature new to version 5 helps with stills, but still cannot touch VRay/Corona/MentalRay etc as regards visual quality.

The Lumion forums have a good collection of various work done with it so you should be able to judge for yourself if it could fit your needs:

http://forum.lumion3d.com/gallery/

I think there are 2 significant strengths that Lumion has over the competition.

#1 - The pro version comes with a huge and diverse ready-to-use content library. Easy to create the animations you want without much technical effort.

#2 - It handles models from all of the most common 3d modeling packages like a champ. If the model comes from somebody that refuses to use anything but a single default material then you will have to bring it into your own DCC package first to do some unique material assignments as necessary, but apart from that it is exceptional at handling imports and reloads consistently well.

I use it for about 50% of my 3d projects, usually when I am on a very tight schedule, otherwise I am using Corona.

This was very helpful thankyou!

I have been using it for the last few months.

Pros

- Learn quickly and produce animations and stills in a fraction of the time of other render engines

- Pro version comes packed with plants, people, cars, etc. (this has financial value as you would have to buy these things from a vendor if you were just starting out with another engine)

- Imports nicely and retains material settings when you reload. (I use SketchUp and relink my model 20-30 times with no issues)

- With a good graphics card, renders at 4K res in 90 seconds

- Straightforward and simple toolset

- Lots of artistic filters and post processing tools built in

Cons

- GI is not as realistic as other engines (trade is speed)

- Hyperlight currently only limited to stills and lower resolutions

- Need a decent gaming graphics card to get fast render times and performance. If you are using Quadro cards that work well with CAD and MAX, then you might experience issues

What graphics card would you recommen for Lumion?

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi Kristijan, we are running two high spec machines at present. One runs a 6gb titan and the other is running the newly resleased Gigabyte G1 6GB 908GTX. I read a lot of reviews and comparisons and I am really happy withe gigabyte card. The gigabyte runs quieter, cooler and is factory overclocked out of the box and it is around $400 NZD cheaper when I purchased it two months ago. I expect they will release a version with even more ram in the next half year as well. Both cards are well tested and recommended and come up with maximum scores in the Lumion benchmarking test. I have a scene at present that has over 50m+ poly faces and it is still workable while navigating around the scene.

I hope this helps