Maxwell Render 1.5

Devin Johnston

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi everyone,

We know you are all impatiently awaiting the release of Maxwell Render 1.5… I would just like to let you know where we are release-wise:

Maxwell Render 1.5 will be released next week (the week starting May 21, 2007). As mentioned before, we want this to be completely ready, with all resources completed, and everything set for release.

Some further, not-mentioned-before features will come with the release, as well as a complete list of bug-fixes and improvements. You WILL get answers next week (plus, you will be able to try 1.5 yourself ).

Therefore I will also have to ask you not to start or continue any further forum threads regarding when 1.5 will be out or what will be in it. I understand the wait is long, but let’s please make sure the forum is used for asking advice from fellow Maxwell users, sharing images, technical help, that sort of thing, and not for speculation and ranting.

Thanks for your help. Now, next week..... it’s not far off.

Cheers,

Nicole

so it will be released on friday 25. may 11:59pm...

i hope for nl that this friday will not mutate to fryday :rolleyes:

Well... 1.5 hasn't been released, but in preparation NL has revamped the forum so that the forum rules are more prominent. And, in the brand new forum rules post, we're being told that the leniency of the past(!) is no more.

Does this give anyone a good feeling about how NL expects 1.5 to be received or when they anticipate actually, y'know, releasing it?

a sign of life...

Hi all,

Maxwell Render 1.5 is being released this week. We are sure that you will love this version with all the new features and enhancements. You will find that 1.5 is much more professional, stable, usable, cross-platform and complete.

A noticeable number of Maxwell Render customers have asked us whether displacement will be included in version 1.5. Throughout the past months, we have been working on a new system of displacement based on a new technology of geometry management that is a step beyond any current displacement or micropoly displacement. The philosophy of Maxwell Render has always been to innovate and to create new elements rather than implementing existing ones. In fact, the Maxwell Displacement is only the first step of what this new technology will bring you.

The development team and the testing team have decided not to include this feature in Maxwell Render 1.5 because some further testing is needed. We do not think that it is convenient to delay the release just for this single feature, so we have decided to release so that you can enjoy version 1.5 as soon as possible. The new displacement – with other additional enhancements like improvements in the material system – will be added very soon in a free upgrade that we aim to finish in about one to two months.

Here you can see a little preview of what is coming very soon:

http://www.maxwellrender.com/index.php?pForm=disp_images.html

Kind regards,

Juan

Thanks NL for the statement!!!

looks very promising - "next level (limit) of displacement" - but it seems that we won't have any displacement so sooon... :(

maybe next year will be a better one.

...the new forum censorship doesn't look that good :rolleyes:

You can't have it.

Too funny.

While the displacement seriously looks incredible, I can't help but wonder if features such as Simulens had been put on the backburner, that displacement would be available with the 1.5 release. It looks like NL is still having some problems prioritizing their workflow trying to introduce new technologies rather than complete some of the basic functions of an advanced renderer.

I unfortunately don't know much about the team at NL, but I'm wondering if maybe they consider some of these "older" functions to be easy to implement, so they leave them to the last minute, and then don't make the deadlines?

I also don't understand why they are showing off features that aren't even going to be available in the upcoming release? The forums have been begging for a complete feature list for 1.5 and what do they get? The announcement of a feature that could be up to 2 months away. Seems like there might be a step missing in the middle there. It's understandable that they want to show customers that displacement will be available, but what about what can be expected in the next week?

It will be interesting to see what 1.5 actually holds when it was advertised as a "jump too big to be 1.2", yet they are already advertising features that won't even be available in the upgrade.

Also, I understand that these pictures are just supposed to demonstrate a functioning displacement system, but, they look incredibly CG. The grass one definitely looks the best, but the other images are definitely diappointing, which I don't understand since in the beta days you could put 1 light in front of a wall and be "wow"ed by the results. I'm guessing that these tests had to be rushed out the door, but still, the quality of Maxwell is definitely lacking in all of the images.

funny that they announce they have displacement that is better than the others but it doesnt work right so we cant have it anyway. clever way of shutting people up with a teaser " oh that feature you all want we are working on. here are some piccys, you complained you wanted it and here it is, but you cant have it ok" oh and they mentioned the word Free again so we should be grateful to them for that "thanks NL"

so it seems everyone is back to being happy with NL and the 1.5 coming now we know we aint getting displacement. i also find it funny that they have half a page in 3d world discussing 1.5 and the only feature they are singing about is simulens. is that only a small feature and the others are bigger ?? so why aint they singing about them more in the article. Find it strange really esp cause its the July issue and 1.5 would be in our hands anyway, so keeping the big features a secret would be pointless, wouldnt it ?

anyway atleast we can stop bitching about not get displacement, cause we aint getting it :)

They are really pathetic.

They heard all the boows comming.. and it was obvious that 1.5 release DOESNOT bring ANY NEW features, so we have juan saying us that we will soon (what a laugh) have displacement. That means 6-10 months (at least).

What is more suspicious is the FREE word included in his text. What does he mean. Every update untill v2.0 is free.

he means that they are intending to release v2 soon?

he means that a dozen of features not implemented yet (but promised a long long time ago) would not be included for free?

Just food for thought.

Programming displacement its really simple. It does not require 3 years to include it in the program. Fry (with just one programmer [chema]) included it in no time.

So 1.5 is another BIG failure and displacement is another excuse to se numbering to 1.9 (remember that)

Feversoft will run over NL!

It doest get any simplier that that.

I dont see why you people even bother puting high hopes in Maxwell?!

The screw you once, they will srew you again!

And abouth their policy on announcing new things, I think they should do as smart people say "...it will be finished when it finished".

I realy dont know how can anybody even take them seriously when they announce realising date?!

Gime me a break!

They announced a release date because in 2-3 days everyone would see that no new features included. Everyone in the forum shouted for displacement (at least) and they have nothing to give to the people except a new release count!!!!

So they gave a release date that we all know is equiv to soon. Soon (in NL dictionary) is indefinately!!

They announced a release date because in 2-3 days everyone would see that no new features included. Everyone in the forum shouted for displacement (at least) and they have nothing to give to the people except a new release count!!!!

So they gave a release date that we all know is equiv to soon. Soon (in NL dictionary) is indefinately!!

The PR work done by Next Limit baffles the mind. I work for one of the largest PR firms in my country and we focus on crisis communications and corporate/business to consumer communications. Over a year ago I offered to be a consultant for NL, pro bono, and never received anything beyond the "we will see" email. They seem to be absolutely clueless about how to communicate with their client, and this has been going on for 2 years, yet they seem to be unwilling to take relevant steps to fixing it.