Maxwell Render 1.5

Devin Johnston

Maxwell 1.5 just launched. The email included a download link, some licensing information (which basically said you don't need to change anything involving licensing) and a FAQ that was basically to the effect of "really, you don't need to change anything to get the new licensing".

Edit: They're right, I didn't have to change anything to get the new licensing :)

But as for features... there's not much here that's new. Maybe the best new feature is a new edition of the user's manual, but in typical NL fashion it's a locked PDF file that can't be printed, says "If you would like to order a printed copy, please contact us," and of course the printed manual will be available "soon".

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...but in typical NL fashion it's a locked PDF file that can't be printed, says "If you would like to order a printed copy, please contact us," and of course the printed manual will be available "soon".

:rolleyes: speechless

Here is the long-awaited features list.

so now we know why there weren't additional announcements of new features...

I'm actually a bit confused as to why this release is so significant it can't be called 1.2. I've been looking at it and it's spiffed up in places but it doesn't really look all that different to me. Can anybody provide enlightenment?

I had to use a download manager program to get it to go at all- in Firefox it goes for a little bit then craps out. It's averaging about 10K/sec now, and the server is timing out every few minutes. At this rate I'll have it in a couple hours.

There's talk about that on the NL forums - people are unhappy. Thing is, if you go to the web site of the exclusive publisher of the manual, you get... nothing. You can't buy it, even if you want to.

In the meantime, you could remove the password on the PDF file, though I'm pretty sure US law prevents me from telling you how to do that.

Well, I suppose I don't know how to do it either, but I do know that a few minutes with Google will lead you to software that does know how to solve this problem. And just to be clear, no one is talking about piracy here. We are all paying customers (the only people who have access to Maxwell 1.5 at the moment) who just want to read the documentation to the software we own somewhere other than on a screen.

This whole episode is very bizarre, yet it somehow neatly sums up Next Limit's incompetence in dealing with its customers. It's as if they can't help finding new ways to alienate users. Maybe they'd benefit not just from a PR consultant, but a good therapist as well.

Has anyone noticed that you can't print the manual and apparently if you want a copy you’re going to have to pay for it.....what's that about?

Are you joking? That is unbelievable ...

Any more impressions of 1.5 so far? Seems like 1.2 may have been a more adequate number from what I've been reading. I was personally expecting some massive "hidden" changes that would wow everybody when it was released, and prove me and everybody else wrong.

I guess I'll never learn.

Hi everyone,

For the release of Maxwell Render 1.5, the decision was made to take a professional publisher to do the manual (with NL coordination). They provided us with a free pdf for everyone, but they hold the publishing rights and will ditribute a printed version. I will get more info on when&where and how much asap. Please note that Next Limit does not get any money from this (so no we are not "hurting for cash", well I am but that is not really relevant ).

For the images that appear in the manual, I have permission from all the creators to use their images and credits are mentioned (after their wishes) in the end of the manual.

I did not forsee this as a big problem , but well, I don't know much about software and its use in general. I'll get back to you asap.

Cheers,

Nicole

This is fantastic, NL's current #1 representative doesn't "know much about software and its use in general".

I read an unofficial statement by another user over there that the "beta look" was back. As I recall, at one time we "Beta Lovers" were told that the "beta look" was wrong and bad and that we were wrong and bad for wanting it back. :confused:

"I read an unofficial statement by another user over there that the "beta look" was back. As I recall, at one time we "Beta Lovers" were told that the "beta look" was wrong and bad and that we were wrong and bad for wanting it back."

quoted for agreement.

I might aswell say it here now..

I'm not satisfied with the 1.5 release :( it feels unfinished and rushed at the end which leaves several plugins and critical things functioning less than what's good. However those things that do work are nice and i like those, but they're not enough to make me pleased with this release.

It hurts to have to say this but now it's true :(

Hope this makes some of you guy's and girls happy now.

/ Magnus

I might aswell say it here now..

I'm not satisfied with the 1.5 release :( it feels unfinished and rushed at the end which leaves several plugins and critical things functioning less than what's good. However those things that do work are nice and i like those, but they're not enough to make me pleased with this release.

It hurts to have to say this but now it's true :(

Hope this makes some of you guy's and girls happy now.

/ Magnus

Doesn't make me happy or sad, but it does boggle my mind to try to understand how your mind works. After all, it's always been unfinished and 'rushed feeling', and a good subset of the plugins have always been garbage. Where you been man?