Maxwell Render 1.5

Devin Johnston

I might aswell say it here now..

I'm not satisfied with the 1.5 release :( it feels unfinished and rushed at the end which leaves several plugins and critical things functioning less than what's good. However those things that do work are nice and i like those, but they're not enough to make me pleased with this release.

It hurts to have to say this but now it's true :(

Hope this makes some of you guy's and girls happy now.

/ Magnus

:eek:

I, for one, am shocked. I'm quoting it just to make sure it stays here!

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for saying so, Magnus. I'm in complete agreement.

Like Dave, I was expecting unannounced new features, maybe even sky portals (since Fry has it), but apparently there's nothing new here, just fixes.

As for the manual. Why would an 8-foot-tall wookie want to live on a moon with 3-foot-tall ewoks? It doesnt make sense. Look at the monkey. Look at the monkey!

There's no need for me to sugarcoat comments in any way now, they had all the time in the world to fix these issues. About a freakin year! so yes i'm pretty annoyed right now. I'll give them 3 months to sort out the mess, if they don't do it within that time i'll shelf Maxwell until i see it fit for my type of work.

/ Magnus

There's no need for me to sugarcoat comments in any way now, they had all the time in the world to fix these issues. About a freakin year! so yes i'm pretty annoyed right now. I'll give them 3 months to sort out the mess, if they don't do it within that time i'll shelf Maxwell until i see it fit for my type of work.

/ Magnus

Maximus, you have been one of the stronger voices in support of Maxwell on the forums (both here and on maxwellrender.com) up until this point. I hope that you are planning to voice these concerns on the maxwell forums as well, maybe if somebody like you were to do so, it might make them actually look at what they are doing.

Then again, you would probably just get banned and the topic would be deleted ...

It doesn't make me happy or satisfied in any way (except to reinforce in my mind that I'm not crazy for thinking the same things). If the majority of improvements (and the major ones) are "under the hood", then this release should have been rock-solid stable - as efficiency and stability were thought to be the only things 1.5 had going for it. That could have saved a little face (if it matters).

Hehe i guess this was predictable (as always), and we even have, (as usual) a new 'tormentone' for displacement which will keep the entertainment going for the next few months, some thing never change.

To be fair the core engine of maxwell is very nice, and the porting to 64 and linux and osx releases were lots of work. I saw that comment about the beta look being back and had a laugh, i remember the days when the beta look was worse than satan himself. Anything but consistent hehe :p

I read an unofficial statement by another user over there that the "beta look" was back.

not sure about the beta look, but from what I see in a couple of threads, it looks like black dots are back as well.

not sure about the beta look, but from what I see in a couple of threads, it looks like black dots are back as well.

At least instead of fireflies they are now fleas!

Does anybody if there are any default testing scenes available on the maxwell website anywhere? There is something I would like to try out, but I want it to be with a scene that I know has been tried with 1.5 .

I might aswell say it here now..

I'm not satisfied with the 1.5 release :( it feels unfinished and rushed at the end which leaves several plugins and critical things functioning less than what's good. However those things that do work are nice and i like those, but they're not enough to make me pleased with this release.

It hurts to have to say this but now it's true :(

/ Magnus

Wow Magnus I never expected you to have this attitude toward Maxwell and believe me I'm not happy that this release has had this effect on you.

ki_cz: Yes i been a strong supporter of Maxwell and will still say i am but when they do this even the rock i'm standing on feels unstable and i might just fall off... i'll cut them a bit slack now for starters and if they don't sort this mess out asap then i'll talk to them, i got a good connection with the NL HQ so i can tell them honestly what i think about this. It's still too early to bang on the big drum..

I mean that the release does not totally suck, that would be both unfair and wrong to say, but there are certain things in it which at the moment makes it pretty much impossible to use for anything else but tests, hell i can't even render out a sphere on a plane using custom mxm files from C4D. Via Rhino more stuff can be done, but far from everything i wanna do so i'm not gonna bother too much until the major stuff is resolved.

Maxer: :( yes i'm just as sorry to have to say all this as you are to hear it all. Ofcourse i realize this gives all the Fryers more meat to their grinders :( *sigh* oh well.. at the end of the day it's just a piece of 3d software and not something worse.

/ Magnus

This doesn't affect me, since I orginally bought it as a student license, but...

Does anybody who bought Maxwell Beta have the original documentation saying the final release would be a boxed product and that they would receive it with a printed manual? :)

The question is simple?

This release comes 1.5 years after v1.0

Has the application progress as it should for such a long time.

The answer is simple. NO . (period)

More than a dozen of promised features dating 2.5 years are still on the "wish" list so how can one be happy.

Not happy, but I have a little smile on my face... ;)

I think they planned to call it 1.5 because of MPD, and when they decided to remove it they couldn't change the name.

I had some crashes really unexpected, problems with AGS and dielectrics, I can't edit old ML 1.1 mxi files (Tom told me to re-render them!!!) and more.

Some other stuff has being improved and TG resume is back!

No words about the manual! (but is this a manual or a brochure?)

Ciao, Gio

long time no see livoli!

totally, it's been ages. really glad to see you popping up like this, hope every thing's all right up there in Switzerland. it looks like we all missed the release party after all.