Photo of the DAY - Ongoing

AJLynn

[ATTACH=CONFIG]41167[/ATTACH]

I think you need to fix the UVW mapping on the ceiling tiles just to the right of the white chandelier that is just to the right of the center of the image. They have a secondary grid that is out of alignment, and should be adjusted to be parallel and perpendicular with the larger grid of the tiles. ;)

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow. You should abandon the world of Visualization and go to advertising photography.

Photography is a tough gig right now, but I agree that your photography is stunning. Do you have a website purely for your photos? If not, you should do. You are using techniques that leave alot of old school shooters in the shade.

Well thanks guys for such glowing accolades...

I do have my own domain set up with SmugMug, but I haven't really figured out how to market my work to a targeted market. It would be great to monetize this pursuit, but for now my site is empty...

http://www.claudiobranch.com/

I'm not even sure how to categorize what kind of photographer I am. I am more interested in processing. I frequently refer to my camera as a "render button" as well.

I pretty much shoot for myself and I like to find subjects that are quite mundane, but have something to offer in terms of interesting light temps and unique shadows. I use hdr techniques only to manage the light collection, not as an effect. The post work I do is with an emphasis on creating a unique mood and giving the shot a lot of atmosphere. For example, the "Coke" image is 15 combined exposures and iterates through 26 layers in Photoshop to its finale.

So, I would say that I am a niche photographer and that niche is....what?

On a final and more definitive note, I just purchased a Nikon D7000 and a Nikkor 18-200mm lens. I am looking forward to seeing how my latest "render button" performs...

Well thanks guys for such glowing accolades...

I do have my own domain set up with SmugMug, but I haven't really figured out how to market my work to a targeted market. It would be great to monetize this pursuit, but for now my site is empty...

http://www.claudiobranch.com/

I'm not even sure how to categorize what kind of photographer I am. I am more interested in processing. I frequently refer to my camera as a "render button" as well.

I pretty much shoot for myself and I like to find subjects that are quite mundane, but have something to offer in terms of interesting light temps and unique shadows. I use hdr techniques only to manage the light collection, not as an effect. The post work I do is with an emphasis on creating a unique mood and giving the shot a lot of atmosphere. For example, the "Coke" image is 15 combined exposures and iterates through 26 layers in Photoshop to its finale.

So, I would say that I am a niche photographer and that niche is....what?

On a final and more definitive note, I just purchased a Nikon D7000 and a Nikkor 18-200mm lens. I am looking forward to seeing how my latest "render button" performs...

Thats the nice thing about being a pro photographer, no explanations are needed. Your work speaks for itself and if you have a certain 'style' (which for you is the HDR technique you outlined) then more power to you. I work with a couple of the best retouchers in Chicago, therefore have alot of contact with high end photographers. The ones that shout the loudest dont usually have that much to say.

If you seriously want to explore going down the pro photography road, you need to get your work onto a nice clean website and get in touch with some reps. Photography reps (good ones) can be choosey about who they take onto their books, they usually only represent as many photographers as it takes to cover the gamut twice. People, product, auto, food. They cover it twice in case their client has a bad history with one of their guys. Your work is a little bit out there, so I think you'd get picked up quick.

Photography is a tough gig right now, but I agree that your photography is stunning. Do you have a website purely for your photos? If not, you should do. You are using techniques that leave alot of old school shooters in the shade.

I have to third these accolades. I have for quite awhile admired your photographic work.

I work in the tradeshow industry and one of our biggest issues has always been taking high quality photos of our actual exhibits on the show floor. We either wind up with blurry pictures taken by someone on our staff or wind up paying a professional thousands for a few images. The sort of post work you do seems ideal for this sort of scenario...

E

I have to third these accolades. I have for quite awhile admired your photographic work.

I work in the tradeshow industry and one of our biggest issues has always been taking high quality photos of our actual exhibits on the show floor. We either wind up with blurry pictures taken by someone on our staff or wind up paying a professional thousands for a few images. The sort of post work you do seems ideal for this sort of scenario...

E

Hello Erick,

One thing's for sure; post work cannot be successful without good shots. Im sure Claudio plays down the amount of finnicking around on location...

If you want to hit the middleground between 'thousands for a few shots' and 'blurry pics by your own staff', you need to invest in some decent photography equipment. Not much for a DSLR camera, a nice mid-range lens and a tripod.

As does everyone, I recommend my own setup: Canon D60 + EFS17-55. Around $2k total.

Thanks for the kind remarks Erick.

I agree with Tommy's suggestions. You can run out and get some really nice gear for what you are spending on a photographer to shoot your exhibit at one show. Throw in some lighting equipment and you will be rolling like a pro.

I am in the market for a Nikon SB900 Speedlight myself. Oh, and a Manfrotto tripod. It's only...

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I started using hdr techniques a little over 2 years ago and it's only really neccessary when you have really strong light sources that you are trying to include within the frame. As Tommy also stated, any hdr processing starts with good base images. It is not a magic bullet. More often it is a fatal bullet when used without some judicious restraint.

I try to let the results of my shooting dictate what processing is best suitable. Sometimes hdr with 10+ exposures combined and at other times a single RAW file will do.

here's 3 shots with my recent new toy now that i've finally gotten my camera back from Service: a Sigma 24mm f1.8, its not the nikon 1.4, but its also not 1500 and a lb... tradeoffs i guess?! went a little overboard with the processing on the food market, playing with some various stuff to find a style i like, not quite there yet!

5472801262_fca54dbf60_m.jpg

Policia by vsai, on Flickr

High black point, high fill, low saturation, high vibrancy, slight recovery, expose to suit? I like it on some photos, this one not so much :)

5472801194_b55df60dbe_m.jpg

National food market by vsai, on Flickr

5472209177_5688de342e_m.jpg

the water of life by vsai, on Flickr

...went a little overboard with the processing on the food market, playing with some various stuff to find a style i like, not quite there yet!

What kind of processing are we talking about here? RAW adjustments? RAW +/- plug-ins?

I really like the first and last images. They are both clean compositions and have nice color complements.

• 2 weeks later...