Hello, I'm making ultrarealistic 3D people models using 120 DSLR photogrammetry rig

denisvoronin

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow that a very cool rig!! To be hones time ago for a while I though in do the same, since I moved to California, here the diversity of people will really give me the opportunity to scan any type or eniticity. I never could make the initial budget to start, maybe some day.

That's pretty cool man.

Spoiled? Then go uninstall your Rail Clone and your Forest Pro and do it the old fashioned way.

Gran pappy always said, "WORK SMART, NOT HARD"

that was funny actually.

Well I don't use Rail clone, inside max clone and alight and other for now make the cut for me. I just got Forest pro, because the otter scatter tool that I have was not enough for what I need.

and Yes I agree with Grandpa, if you are a freelancer you need to rely in as many tools and resources you can to be as efficient possible.

My spoiled comment, was not strictly to you really, and it was more directed to some comments here that said this 3D people were not good at all, instead of, yes this is cool, we mis this and that but cool to have more options, simple.

Any ways no more comments here it seems that I am this guys sales person :p

Cheers!!.

Definitely a cool looking rig! Can we just get more boring people? I look at AXYZ and wonder how many times you can see this 3D guy AXYZ.JPG in other renderings before you can spot him like a sore thumb. He is too specific, too catchy, too Big Lebowski! If he was just a normal Joe, clean shaven, simple hair style, maybe I could use him a few times before I get sick of him.

Definitely a cool looking rig! Can we just get more boring people? I look at AXYZ and wonder how many times you can see this 3D guy [ATTACH=CONFIG]52337[/ATTACH] in other renderings before you can spot him like a sore thumb. He is too specific, too catchy, too Big Lebowski! If he was just a normal Joe, clean shaven, simple hair style, maybe I could use him a few times before I get sick of him.

I thought that was a joke. But sadly, you can have Mr. Plastic Santa / El Duderino (if you are into the whole brevity thing) Lawn Ornament looking man in your scene. Like I said, scanned hair looks like crap. Also, if you offer a model of a person pointing, then you need to include the non-pointing version for free. Unless I'm doing a scene of a UFO invasion, I don't need more than one person pointing. Besides, my mom always told me it was rude to point.

By the way, Zombie Grandma says, "Stop!"

0003_CWom0202HD2O01P01S.jpg

our models are priced 29-35 USD, if you look at those of AXYZ on turbosquid.com (models from photogrammetry scans) - they are priced evenly at 65 USD each

sorry, but why should i buy an AXYZ model from Turbosquid for $65 when i can get it directly from their shop for $47,30 - or for $22,28 if i buy a package of ten models? https://secure.axyz-design.com/shop/memss010hd2

But really an impressive rig. And nice models. Are these sample images showing the high or low res model?

Scott, good points.

I repeat - AXYZ does not have a photogrammetry rig. Both "Lebowski" and "Zombie mama" was bought by him with reseller rights from other Co. which had done these scans to be 3D printed on colored sandstone - not for archviz purposes that is why they look a little out of place.

numerobis, thanks for the question. I do not know why you do not pay VAT. Obviously you know it best. As a general rule "If you are an EU-based company, VAT is chargeable on most of your sales and purchases except exports to countries outside the EU." (http://europa.eu/youreurope/business/vat-customs/buy-sell/index_en.htm). As for turbosquid - of course it does not show VAT because Turbosquid is a US based company and US tax system does not have VAT. It has withholding tax which is in fact deducted from my comission on every sale to US resident (additional 30%) and I'm not a resident of the US but I still have to pay it. The thing here is that if you are a European based company and you buy from the European based company - you have to pay VAT. And VAT is added to the price of the product making it more expensive for the consumer ie tax burden lies on a consumer. As for US withholding tax - it is deducted from my commission (seller) so it is a tax burden on a seller - I can't charge US customers additional tax as AXYZ. So selling any product to US customer my final comission becomes considerably lower. I'm not a tax councelor but basically this is how things work.

Edited by denisvoronin

The thing here is that if you are a European based company and you buy from the European based company - you have to pay VAT.

You mean, you don't have to pay VAT. If you buy from a company in your country then yes (and you'll get it back with your VAT return), but if you have a VAT ID and buy from a company in another EU country then you don't have to pay VAT.

"The EU operates Value Added Tax (VAT) and electronic goods and services are subject to VAT at the applicable rate. Each member state may set its own rate of VAT if they want

VAT regulations are very complicated and the intent of this article is not to provide definitive guidance but rather to list some of the relevant factors.

Businesses located within an EU member state[edit]

If a business is located within an EU member state and its turnover through internet sales or otherwise exceeds that member state's VAT threshold then the business must register for VAT. It is then obliged to collect VAT on its sales (outputs) and remit it to the tax authorities having deducted the VAT it pays on its purchases (inputs).

Distance selling threshold[edit]

If a business makes sales of physical goods to a member state that exceeds that member states distance selling threshold (typically either EUR 30,000 or EUR 100,000) then it must register to pay VAT in that member state and collect VAT at that member state's VAT rate.

If sales are below the distance selling threshold VAT must be collected at the VAT rate in the business' own member state."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taxation_of_digital_goods#Overview_of_Internet_Taxation_in_the_European_Union

That is probably what you meant:

VAT is not collected from foreign EU businesses[edit]

A business must always charge VAT to non-VAT registered entities (i.e. consumers) but should not charge VAT to foreign EU VAT registered businesses who provide them with a VAT number. These foreign EU businesses are required to declare their purchase and the tax due to their own tax authorities.

Meaning if you don't provide your European VAT number - you will be charged VAT at Italy's 22% rate in addition to the price of the model.

Edited by denisvoronin

Yes, but what about those who run a business outside of the EU - North America, South America, Australia, South Africa, South Korea, China? )

As far as i know it is the same, but the company in the EU has to be registered in the country outside the EU and the customer has to pay the tax in his own country according to their law. From the EU shop he will receive a bill without VAT.

Denis,

I'm going to differ from most and say these are quite good when keeping in mind the intended use.

Compared to other existing options, these have a good amount of detail and hold up well with various utility passes. Sure, you aren't going to be selling these to studios contracted to create highend brochures or film projects but that really shouldn't be your target demographic anyway. You should shoot for the small to mid-size design firms that are in a meat grinder to crank out images in a couple days and have to rely only on the poor 2d photographic collections currently available. It would be great to have both sitting and standing poses for each model but shy away from very specific poses like talking on cell phones, shaking someones hand etc. These are utilitarian in nature and should be treated as such. You can't please everyone.

Hello everybody,

just wanted to let you know that this friday we will add another 6 models to our collection. And one more thing. Starting today we are offering 1 free model for every 300+ USD purchase, 3 free models for 450+ USD, and 6 free models for 700+ USD purchase. This is not for individual freelancers obviously but rather for studios. We will see if it gains traction. Thank you very much. Cgarchitect is the only place where we offer this.

Edited by denisvoronin

I think someone needs to make a 3D plugin / program that is similar to Poser or DAZ but focused on arch/viz. T Pose characters that can be easily... and I stress EASILY posed, varied, pick hi or lo poly depending on use, adjust attire and accessories QUICKLY (ie backpacks, iphones, etc), and preset materials for hair (possibly using Hair & Fur) and varying skin types. Whoever figures this out will make a fortune...

I agree with everything there but the 'make a fortune' part. The logic is right, but I doubt the market is big enough to justify the investment and then create that fortune. Someone made a plugin like that to make procedural cars in Max. Did they make a fortune? A people-generator would be more valuable, though.

I think the models look pretty good. It's just that I can see using the entire collection in one rendering. Then what? It's a long-standing problem, no simple solution. But a collection like this adds to the options, so that's positive.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Denis

I would suggest taking a scan of your models in a t-pose aswell - you may not use it straight away but I am sure in the future you will start to explore animating the models and for that you need the scan as a t-pose at the very least.