Hello, I'm making ultrarealistic 3D people models using 120 DSLR photogrammetry rig

denisvoronin

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cost is a factor indeed, but I know I would pay for a higher quality character. The advantage of 3d is that they can be "hero" people in your scene and take on all of the scene's environment. Plus with a higher quality character and texture sheet, you can customize them and get more bang for your buck with just a small number of people instead of many 3D people that have little to no ease of customization.

True, but how many time you'll use that person, not that many, they become recognizable very quick. If you can adjust cloth colors and maybe hair, it really help but cost it is a important thing.

I think maybe a pay per use may be a better option for this kind of assets, I know a lot of people don't like the "rental" style but, think about it, what if you pay monthly or yearly and you could use a pretty big library of people. More assets are created... great you get more variation.

I know with this type of product, it will be really hard to control the system, it may have to work with a special software like RPC or something, but having the option to choose from a large library, and give the developer a constant income to keep growing the library will work better than buying 1 or 3 people at the time, when you finally get a decent number to fill an auditorium, they all been used so much that everybody can pint point on them and don't look at the building design.

There is this company 3dscanstore they produce very high quality 3D scanning, they are not dedicated to Arch Viz, but from their lates products, they seems to be interested in try. I hope they keep going because they have great equipment and good process.

oops I forgot to mention, be careful when you visit their website, because of the nature of their service, some nudity will be there.

Well I guess it is hard to please everybody really, but I understand your point. For me by the time RPC worked fine, I was not really impressed per the quality but I need a lot of people and cars and such, so it was OK not to own them later.

This year my company spend about $1500 on 3D people alone, it is working fine, but already some designers are asking for more variety on the people.

I am trying to create color variation now in the cloth (hopefully in a procedural way) so I can extend the life of these 3D People.

I think the problem is cost, 3d models are already at a price point where it becomes very expensive to even have a small collection. If moving the quality up to the next level increases the costs 2 or 3 times how many people will be able to afford that?

Nope. It's in the Dir Photog dept. Prescreen the models, wardrobe and direct them as needed. If they can't cut it, move on to the next. The difference in expense between good models and bad models is not that severe.

This industry really needs to start thinking about splitting out the maps like the games industry. The baked-in diffuse just makes these things look like wax figures. I get so jelly each time I watch a development diary on how digital humans are done in VFX and games, and then I realize this is the level we are at......

I preset to you. Mr. Divot-Head Douche, Mr. Way Too Excited to get Scanned, and Mr. I'm Not Not masturbating to CornHub on my TV.

No amount of splitting out maps is going to make those files useful :(

I get what they are trying to do but going the 'unique' route isn't the way to generate sales in this area. We need people who add relevance to the composition without drawing unwanted attention and having such a specific pose as the guy on the right really limits the use.

How often am i going to have a couch with a footstool placed exactly where his foot is while also being in front of a tv in a casual setting? If I need something specific like that, I'll schedule a photoshoot.

True, you can't please everyone but you can cater to the largest use in order to maximize the reach of your product. cheering guy would be fine in a collection of 11 others also cheering so you can market to the higher ed/sports market but you need to make sure he is wearing solid colors so it's simple to perform a channel adjustment in the mat editor to vary it up in an arena setting. When the subject is wearing a pattern of green and blue, there's not a lot you can do to mix it up.

It's getting better now that bundles are coming out with collections that make sense. we're just not a patient customer base and we are notorious for being cheap since we just funnel money around much like architects. $40-$50 seems to be the sweet spot so I feel the OP is doing a fine job and just needs to refine a bit. Keep at it!

• 1 month later...

Thank you for all suggestions, guys. We put new ready for rig model (http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/gigapixel-scan-max-free/1025703?referral=futurescan), added lots of new models, new collections and changed pricing on almost every single model in a way customer will like. Feel free to browse. Thank you. PS If you ever bought models from Turbosquid.com you can easily see that almost all of our collections are now bestsellers over there in their respective categories. Thank you for that.

Edited by denisvoronin

• 4 months later...

nicnic,

obviously in this case you can see "AdWords" Google Ad targeted at your country meaning "Renderpeople" use "futurescan" keyword to target my potential customers as well. If this is the case - it is in violation of Google AdWords policy.

Their site does not contain "futurescan" words so it is not seen in organic search results.

As for me - I don't see neither their site nor ads in "futurescan" search result. Results may vary I guess.

it doesn't matter to me if its an ad or organic google results, i will click the first link i see. i only see a turbosquid link for you as well rather than a website.

i would get yourself some adwords to get control of your name back and purchase a domain name as you have some good models.

(you could have avoided this situation by just writing the direct URL here than making me google it !)

;-)

Nothing wrong with you or anybody here with clicking and buying Renderpeople models. Competition can't be bad for everybody. Of course there is alwats business ethics involved. Buy hey, there are always those who say "All means are good in a war". Looks as ads are gone by now by the way. Maybe Google did something.

• 3 weeks later...