Mirror Room with V-ray - Adding proper ambient light?

Kirsten Zirngibl

I'm creating a mirror room (like one of these). I need a completely enclosed piece of hollow geometry which will infinitely reflect the objects inside.

What I'm running into is that I can't get rid of the "pure black" in the scene. I want to have some kind of GI/ambient light in there.

I have tried adding a V-ray ambient light, which does light up the OBJECTS but there is always a dead space of pure black where the walls are. There are no diffuse surfaces (like painted walls) to scatter around the point lights in the scene.

VrayEnvironmentFog works OK, but seems to increase render time by a lot and kinda obscures the scene more than I'd like. Any alternatives to it, or other tricks for getting a better result/effect?

(Version: V-ray Next CPU)

MirrorRoomQuestion.jpg

MirrorRoomQuestion-EnvironmentFog.jpg

Edited by kirstenzirngibl

One way I kill pure black in a scene is to adjust the shadow color of lights to be a little above black, maybe with a bit of color.

EDIT: Oh, and there is also the 'exit color' which defines what color is shown when you have reached the end of the ray depth or light to bounce. You can set that to a non-black. But I think my first suggestion is the right one for your scene.

Edited by Ernest Burden

Did you adjust the max depth to your transparency and relfections??

if the room is completely enclosed the environment will not affect this, just place lights inside the room, and be sure all your glass are solid and not single side geometry, then addjust the reflection depth as need it, each time a reflective ray cross a surface is a step so a simple glass that is 2, then two pannel of glass is 4 and so on.