Terrain texturing. help?

annakozar

hello dear all!

I don't really know if it 3ds max issue, but still i leave it here.

Sooo... i have my pink moment. i had bought a brand new computer and decided to make a Cabin in a forest to train my skills in Substance Painter- i saw their beautiful Atlases and Biomass materials.

But i have been facing problems. Yep, newbie questions with textile density and size of terrain and so on. Every tutorial tend to use Unreal with his terrain tools.

i have a terrain. i want paint "road", add some pebbels, grass, leaves. (see pic.)

What modern super-technological pipeline do you use for making a terrain for render in 3ds max?

my thoughts:

split terrain into many UVs/udim and textuting in Painter?

Use scatter for 3ds max on a not so good texture?

Use mask with two material in Designer (noooooooo) and go to Bercon tile in max. Add mesh road with texture and hide a border with pebbels and greens?

Use WorldMashine?

Just simple old Photosop will do it?)))))

Maybe, there is some tutorial i haven't seen jet?

I have seen so many tutorials. my head is spinning now. kill me :confused:

road.jpg

e39cdb1a579e1cea88206e39a9a6ccdd.jpg

Create your materials, in this example a grass and a road material, then plug them into a vray blend material and use either a vray distance tex or a shape map to blend between them. That way you can use geometry (that you should make not renderable) or splines to define areas where you want the road to be.

For more variation (but with higher render times) you could even create another blend material to plug into first blend material replacing the grass. Then you put the grass into the newly created blend material and create a rock material. Then you can use a vray triplanar map with for examples the sides being white and the top black, to make it so that the grass is visible on "flat" parts of the terrain geometry, and rocks on the vertical parts. For more control over how that blending works, you could replace the vray triplanar map with a falloff that is set to Perpendicular/Parallel and the world axis. Then you can control how sharp the blending will be and where it will take place by altering the output/curves of the falloff.

If you need even more complex materials, all the "regular" materials here can be "layered", as in replaced by different vray blending materials where you create two or more variations of each material and blend them with different noises or falloffs and whatnot.

When it comes to "painting" geometry such as grass, trees, flowers and rocks you should check out forest pack, it is really a must have.

Also, this tutorial from the boundary may help you out:

https://www.the-boundary.com/blog/carey-house-tutorial-01-landscape

Pretty much what @Nicolai mentioned You can also use the good ole VErtex paint ( simple tutorial here

)

That is the same as what you do in Unreal or Unity. Now instead of thinking in a single large solution, you need to think is a small workaround that builds up in layers, per se.

You can have a large tileable texture as a base, but then add geometry in top, such mega scans then scatter some rocks or patches of dirt or grass in top, then another layer of vegetation then large elements like trees stumps or large rocks and so on and so for. In the end, you will never see the large tileable base texture it all will blend.

I usually use V Ray distance text and blend materials for anything that is larger and flat, such streets, dirt planes, sand ETC, but then use that as the base and build from that.

Best luck. and keep us posted with your progress ;)

Pretty much what @Nicolai mentioned You can also use the good ole VErtex paint ( simple tutorial here
)

That is the same as what you do in Unreal or Unity. Now instead of thinking in a single large solution, you need to think is a small workaround that builds up in layers, per se.

You can have a large tileable texture as a base, but then add geometry in top, such mega scans then scatter some rocks or patches of dirt or grass in top, then another layer of vegetation then large elements like trees stumps or large rocks and so on and so for. In the end, you will never see the large tileable base texture it all will blend.

I usually use V Ray distance text and blend materials for anything that is larger and flat, such streets, dirt planes, sand ETC, but then use that as the base and build from that.

Best luck. and keep us posted with your progress ;)

Thank you. I will try everything)